Sex this, please!

The problem is that he is sexually mature and his hormones are raging but there are no adult females to mate with, so he is trying it on with the chicks. They could get quite seriously injured, scalping is not unheard of, so it would be best to separate him at least until they are older and laying and then see how he behaves, or as I said before, make some soup.

Polish mix cockerel as others have said. Might be time for chicken soup if it is being aggressive ;)
Oh No! I like this guy. I'm rather attached. Is It possible to have a roo be too aggressive so that it's detrimental to the flock? And the only solution is to eat or rehome?

The problem is that he is sexually mature and his hormones are raging but there are no adult females to mate with, so he is trying it on with the chicks. They could get quite seriously injured, scalping is not unheard of, so it would be best to separate him at least until they are older and laying.
x2. My roo scalped my favourite chick, even though he had 4 mature hens to breed with. He needs more hens to mate with.

The problem is that he is sexually mature and his hormones are raging but there are no adult females to mate with, so he is trying it on with the chicks. They could get quite seriously injured, scalping is not unheard of, so it would be best to separate him at least until they are older and laying and then see how he behaves, or as I said before, make some soup.
Got it. He has one hen his age but I know one is not enough.
What does it mean when he runs up behind a hen and body checks her? It's like bumper cars. I can't tell if he's trying to mate to beat her up!

Got it. He has one hen his age but I know one is not enough.
What does it mean when he runs up behind a hen and body checks her? It's like bumper cars. I can't tell if he's trying to mate to beat her up!
Roosters don't mate like that. A good rooster should be gentle and dance for his ladies, not body check them.

I would not recommend penning him with just one hen either. It would make her life a misery. I can't visualise the behaviour you describe as "bumper cars" or should I say that it does not equate to anything I have witnessed, so I would struggle to explain it. Maybe he is just testing the water to see how she reacts.

Back
Top Bottom