Sexing babies Faverolle and /or sussex breeders, help please.

Radine

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
WNY
My babies are one week old today. I ordered 5 faverolles and 10 speckled sussex, and Cackle sent me an extra sussex. Unfortunitly one of the favs was pretty spent when I got them, and didn't last the day. As of today, I still have all the other 15. ( This is my first forray into raising chickens, and everyday I race home from work, half expecting them to have all died from something I forgot, or did wrong.) Instead I'm truley amazed at how much they seem to grow. Which brings me to my questions. I remember seeing somewhere that you can tell the sex of a Faverolle real early. Something about the color of their feathers. I also read that with sussex the pullet grows feathers faster than the roos. So looking at my sussex first, 9 of the 11 have feathers on their wings from what seems to me to be the equivelent of their elbows, while two of them only have what seems to be gloves (or tips of wings). The same could be said for the Favs, where 3 seem really well feathered on the wings, but the one we call Runt only has a "glove" also. However of them two maybe three have black to some degree on thier wings (including Runt), and If I recall correctly, that means they are all three roos, right? Or is alittle black okay? Someone with experience breeding these types, please respond, as I only originally intended to have 1 roo and 7 hens, but I honestly don't think I wana give any of them up. So If I do have a pluthera of boys, I'm going to have to do some rearranging. Will cocks fight if you house them seperate from the hens? I was thinking of building a range type bachler pad and rotating 1 roo with the ladies every 2 weeks or so. Thanks for any and all advise.

Last edited:
My fav's had me worried for the first 4 weeks they just kept getting dark feathers :mad: I ordered sexed pullets from meyer hatchery. They then got dark tan and light brown feathers all over and are the craziest looking chickens I own ! They are also sweeties
big_smile.png
even though my hens are not really pets they don't mind being picked up and held for a bit to show people or even having their butt feathers trimmed
tongue.png
YUCK !

Good Luck sorry I don't know anything about sussex,
Henry

I couldn't tell the difference between my SS pullets and cockerel from Ideal at one week of age except that he came with a green spot painted on his head! Post some pictures in a couple weeks and we could probably help you. Don't know about Faverolles, I only have pullets.

Thanks, to both of you. Guess I'll have to wait it out. My moneys on the 3 late featherers, being the boys. But I don't know squat, and have nothing more than gut instict to work with here. I'll keep searching the net and watching my babies progress. Thanks again for your help.
P.S. I'll try to get some pics up soon, if I can figure out how to down load either of my cameras. Sometimes it seems to work other times, eh. What's worse is I've downloaded pics, and then lost them somewhere in my computer.

7872_picture_006.jpg
One of the boys(??)
7872_picture_005.jpg
This is what the other 9 look like, with much more feathering and tails starting
7872_picture_004.jpg
Runt, on my lap
7872_picture_003.jpg
All 4 with Runt in the upper right corner
7872_picture_002.jpg
another pic of the 4 (Runt in right corner). Hard to believe it was only a week ago, today all 16 arrive in that same box, and had room to spare

I think you may have one roosters and two hens but they may trick you and all be hens or all be roosters its hard for a bit to tell the sex.

good luck,
Henry

The two on the left side are girls, the one at the top on the right looks like a boy? And the one at the bottom right is hard to see so could be either but looks dark? Maybe two of each? You may have to wait a bit longer though. Sometimes the girls will be a bit dark at first.

Marie

Radine - what did they end up? I'm trying to determine what I have - mine are 2 weeks old tomorrow...

Back
Top Bottom