Sexing baby Bannys?????

Cali Chickk

Hatching
10 Years
May 9, 2009
I just brought home 6 Baby Bannys that my FFA hatched, I was told to check the backs of their legs for "spurs" like you do on chickens, but they ALL seem to have mini ones!
do I really have that bad of luck or am I doing something wrong?!?
please help! lol

btw: the chickens are 2/3 weeks old

Last edited:
All chicks have spur nubs. That is not an accurate way to judge sex. My 11mo old polish pullets have nearly 1/2" spurs on their legs, and I'm 100% sure they're girls. Males don't grow much in the way of spurs until at least 6 months, if not older. My polish cockerel's spurs aren't much bigger than the pullets' at this point.

Most of my girls don't have spurs, but as babies, they all had spur nubs.

Last night I was looking at my chicks that are turning out to be roos and saw the spur nubs. Then I was looking at ones that I knew were pullets and they have them too.

Then I pulled Sally from the roost, she is a 1 year old buff brama and she has tiny spur nubbs too!!! I KNOW she is a she because I saw her lay an egg once. Thay was soooo cool!!!

oh my goodness thank you, I was very worried, lol
Does anybody know the correct way to tell or is it too soon at 2/3 weeks?

What breed are they? With some breeds, males' combs get pink and start growing earlier, so that is your best bet to judge their gender. I had bantam cochins last year who were obviously males by 17 days, when their combs turned pink and started growing. The females combs stayed tiny and yellow until just before they started laying eggs. Not all breeds will be as easy to tell, but some will be. Good luck!

I actually have no idea what breed they are
hmm.png
my FFA got an egg incubatgor donated so my advisor got somebody he knew to grab soe eggs off their farm and stick them in there to hatch, lol, I know that they are bannys and that 2 are banny/chicken mutts, I had a batch of chickens before these that I could tell by the combs after a little while so I know what you mean about that, only one of these seems to have a comb, the others are just flat where a comb would be...

If you could post pictures that would help...

And it's banty
wink.png
or call them by their proper name, bantam. And bantams are chickens, just smaller.
I know that they are bannys and that 2 are banny/chicken mutts​

Back
Top Bottom