sexing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jubylives, Apr 27, 2009.

1. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    My local farm store has straight run Bantams. I've been wanting some but I do not want the roos. I've googled it but I'm wondering what people here have done with success to sex chicks.

jeremy

2. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    Bantam chicks are not usually sexed because they are too tiny. You could always get a bunch now, and find new homes for the roos once you can tell them apart. [​IMG]

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    There are lots of methods that people use, though I suspect many are founded on old wive's tales. Try doing a search on BYC for sexing chicks & see what you get.

Good luck!

4. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I think it is just really hard to say with 100% accuracy. But I look at their wing feathers and if the rows of feathers on the end of the wing are all even I would say roo, and if the pattern goes short, long, short, long(or long short long short) then pullet. HOWEVER, I am in no way guaranteeing that this is a fool proof method, and I am sure there are breeds out there that disprove this theory. So don't bet the farm by it. Even skilled chick sexers make mistakes, and I am certainly no skilled and taught chick sexer. It is just a theory I have by watching the video where they sex one of the breeds of chicks that way. Best of success to you!!! [​IMG]

eta: it is true, that bantams are really tiny and they are usually not sexed for that reason.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  5. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Wing feather don't always help. Mine bantams both would have been pullets if that was the case.

I think I saw ONE hatchery that tries to sex bantams. I'll see if I can find it again.

6. 5sallad5

5sallad5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Trion, Ga
    mypetchciken sexes bantams!

7. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Wing feather don't always help. Mine bantams both would have been pullets if that was the case.

I completely agree. Would you mind posting a couple pictures of your bantam roos? I love seeing rooster pictures. [​IMG] I think they are soo pretty.​

8. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Yup, that's the place. I thought it was them but when I checked, I checked the wrong breed.

9. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    You could also learn to vent sex.
    But I would not suggest doing it right away with bantams.

10. meezermom

meezermom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    Roy WA
    [​IMG] On youtube it discussed & shows vent sexing at one of the hatcheries if you are interested..........

[​IMG] Enjoy your new babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by