sexing chicks

jubylives

Songster
12 Years
Mar 23, 2007
Central Iowa
My local farm store has straight run Bantams. I've been wanting some but I do not want the roos. I've googled it but I'm wondering what people here have done with success to sex chicks.

jeremy

Bantam chicks are not usually sexed because they are too tiny. You could always get a bunch now, and find new homes for the roos once you can tell them apart.
smile.png

There are lots of methods that people use, though I suspect many are founded on old wive's tales. Try doing a search on BYC for sexing chicks & see what you get.

Good luck!

I think it is just really hard to say with 100% accuracy. But I look at their wing feathers and if the rows of feathers on the end of the wing are all even I would say roo, and if the pattern goes short, long, short, long(or long short long short) then pullet. HOWEVER, I am in no way guaranteeing that this is a fool proof method, and I am sure there are breeds out there that disprove this theory. So don't bet the farm by it. Even skilled chick sexers make mistakes, and I am certainly no skilled and taught chick sexer. It is just a theory I have by watching the video where they sex one of the breeds of chicks that way. Best of success to you!!!
smile.png

eta: it is true, that bantams are really tiny and they are usually not sexed for that reason.

Last edited:
Wing feather don't always help. Mine bantams both would have been pullets if that was the case.

I think I saw ONE hatchery that tries to sex bantams. I'll see if I can find it again.

Wing feather don't always help. Mine bantams both would have been pullets if that was the case.

I completely agree. Would you mind posting a couple pictures of your bantam roos? I love seeing rooster pictures.
smile.png
I think they are soo pretty.​

pop.gif
On youtube it discussed & shows vent sexing at one of the hatcheries if you are interested..........

frow.gif
Enjoy your new babies!

Back
Top Bottom