Sexing Day olds...I found that this worked!!

Bec

THE Delaware Blue Hen
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Home Of The Delaware Blue Hen
OK..so I was reading a thread on here and it had a few different ways people sex the babies other than vent sexing. One of them was hold the chick in your hand on its back. If it a girl it will relax and lay back...if a boy it will kick and not want to be held that way. I would hold them with my fingers around them for a count of about 3 and the girlys would settle right down and even close their eyes!!! The males were not having it any way!!!
Wellll......today at the feed store there was a bin of RIR pullets and a bin of RIR cockerals...all day olds, so I tried this out. Honest....it worked!! Every single one of the girls layed back and relaxed and all the boys struggled!!!
There were about 10 of each and sure enough..it was right on!!
Anyone else had luck this way???

Last edited:
Shoot! I wish I would have known about this BEFORE I bought my 12 straight-run RIR's at Easter time. I ended up with 8 roos and only 4 pullets.
hmm.png
Grrrrr! I tried the holding them by the neck and seeing if the feet dangle or if they draw them up technique. Guess what?!?! It didn't work!
lol.png
Thanks for the advice on the new and improved method!

I did the same for the last batch of cochins, pheonix and Australorps I picked up. well.....they are still growing, but I had a hard time with holding the neck techniques they all seemed to struggle. Next time I'll try the back thingy....
big_smile.png

Hmmmmmm... This was shown to me at the feedstore once when I purchased 8 RIRs by a guy standing there holding the chicks like that so I let him pick mine.. I came home and grew out 5 roosters and 3 hens
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom