Sexing eggs and wives tales? šŸ¤” pure bred hens crossed with buff Orpington rooster results? šŸ¤” Incubator brand review? šŸ¤” I got some answers! šŸ˜†

Hatch experiment update :jumpy 9/ 9 eggs hatched early APRIL
Old wives tale ā€œsexing eggsā€ pre hatch:
8 females 1 male
Actual hatch:
4cockerels / 5 Pullets
Conclusion: old wives tales are just that.. tales! šŸ¤£
All are from my buff Orpington rooster, but I had a couple surprise mixed;
Easter egger and cream legbar other mixes: golden laced Wyandotte, barred rock, australorp and Rhode Island Red. Itā€™s been a fun experience for sure.

View attachment 3541812
Pip has a rose comb, so she canā€™t be a cross of BO and cream legbar. She looks like an GLW cross. Are you sure that Buttercup isnā€™t the legbar cross instead?

Last edited:
If you started with these 9 eggs, why is one of the most recent photos labeled as having a Cream Legbar mother? (chick #6 Pip)

A chick from Buff Orpington x Cream Legbar should have a single comb, and Pip does not seem to have a single comb, so I think you've got a label wrong somehow.
Yup! I did I fixed it šŸ˜Š

I can't wait to see how the barred rock chick feathers out. I'm not sure your barred rock hen is purebred, that chick should have had a lot more black on it. But buff can do some strange things with black. If it is a boy, when it feathers out it will be barred. If a girl it will not be barred. You should be able to tell by the wing feathers when they come out.
I know this is an older post, but my buff orp x barred rock baby from last year is almost a full grown rooster now and heā€™s beautiful. Sweet as can be too ā€¦. Heā€™s doing very good in learning how to protect the girls. I just hope he and his ā€œdadā€ can continue to co exist. We shall see!

Attachments

• IMG_6283.jpeg
    IMG_6283.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
What an adorable hatch! I'm glad your eggs didn't suffer from the incubator dying.
Egg sexing is pure hogwash, an eggs shape is based on the reproductive tract of the bird and nothing else. If eggs could be sexed, hatcheries would use it to hatch almost exclusively high in demand females. But they don't.
The needle on the string is occultic, phallic bullpuckey, (btw chickens dont have those organs) easily influencedby the users wishes. However, you can cross fibromelanistic breeds to light skin breeds and developing chicks of a certain gender will be identifiable around day 10, as they'll be darker.
Thank you for the reply!I agree with the scientific fact based information on egg shape development and of course the common sense theory on hatcheries using wives tales to determine sex pre-hatch to eliminate culling babies. My main reasons for posting my experience is because I see the wives tales come up a lot. out of my own curiosities, since I was hatching anyway, why not see what my results are incorporating a couple ā€œtales.ā€ I was worried about the string test being occultoc. It felt a little bit like an ouija thing, so to be honest I would not do that again or recommend it! With all that said my BO roo x Barred rock hen are a sex link and that egg just hatched April 7 the others hatched April 1. I just took a pic of her / him now. I keep finding inconsistencies in info on sexing this mixed chick based on color at hatch, some say born gold is female / silver is male and vice versa.

BUFF ORPINGTON ROOSTER with the following hen breeds:
Rhode Island Red (2) fertile eggs (not sex link), Golden laced Wyandotte (4) fertile eggs, (not sex link) black australorp (1) fertile egg, (not sex link) barred rock (1) fertile egg,(sex link. a boy has a light colored spot on its head a pullet does not) Easter egger (1) fertile egg. (since EE's are not a breed and there are no standards for EE's, I haven't a clue)

(1) Egg shape is a factor used in tossing out possible roo hatch. This is the bullet looking egg (pointy end) vs a more rounded shape egg. Of my 9 eggs I only place ONE POINTY (bullet looking) egg into the incubator
The ancient Greeks over 2000 years ago thought so too. But with the ancient Greeks the pointy ended ones were pullets and the round ones were roosters. This works as well as flipping a coin and no better.

. Then, I did the second experiment ā€œwives taleā€ a needle tied to thread.(2) Dangling the needle over the egg and make sure it is still. I waited for any type of movement and sure enough it swayed on its own after a few seconds. Side to side = boy Circle = girl. 8/9 eggs circles. Yes! the more pointier egg moved side to side. Each egg was numbered and marked with an R for round (circle) S for side to side.
I don't have any faith in this either but it will be interesting to see your results. Hope you post them one way or the other when you are sure of the results. Can you tell which chick came from which egg?

Hatch experiment update :jumpy 9/ 9 eggs hatched early APRIL
Old wives tale ā€œsexing eggsā€ pre hatch:
8 females 1 male
Actual hatch:
4cockerels / 5 Pullets
Conclusion: old wives tales are just that.. tales! šŸ¤£
All are from my buff Orpington rooster, but I had a couple surprise mixed;
Easter egger and cream legbar other mixes: golden laced Wyandotte, barred rock, australorp and Rhode Island Red. Itā€™s been a fun experience for sure.

View attachment 3541812
Pip has a rose comb, so she canā€™t be a cross of BO and cream legbar. She looks like an GLW cross. Are you sure that Buttercup isnā€™t the legbar cross instead?
Oops yes youā€™re correct! Pip is the one with the comb box cl cross and the rose comb Buttercup is a bo x glw cross. Thanks for catching that šŸ˜Š

In regards to the string thing in the first post--it's very simply micro muscle movements. If you pay close attention you can feel the tiny muscles in your hand tremble or twitch slightly, and the string moves just as if you were to sway your whole hand back and forth.

šŸ„ā¤ļøšŸ„Baby Chick Updated Pictures 9/9 hatch šŸ£ April 1 (11 days old in pics)
Baby Orp x Barred born 4/6. (6 days old in pic here)
(Have one more baby to post picture of Buff orp x EE hen hatched 4/10) I am leaning toward 2 possible cockerels out of 9 chicks so far.

Attachments

• CEF12895-B0AF-405F-A4AA-433C95215897.jpeg
    CEF12895-B0AF-405F-A4AA-433C95215897.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 5BBDBFE9-B6CA-4BAD-A46E-7C73D895C612.jpeg
    5BBDBFE9-B6CA-4BAD-A46E-7C73D895C612.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 36
  • FDCE0655-6F18-410C-97A7-6EA1A6249248.jpeg
    FDCE0655-6F18-410C-97A7-6EA1A6249248.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 23EB2128-06B2-4B37-AF1D-7EB294B64F78.jpeg
    23EB2128-06B2-4B37-AF1D-7EB294B64F78.jpeg