Sexing Golden Cascade Ducklings?

BlueHorse17

Free Ranging
8 Years
Mar 20, 2015
USA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone! This is my first time hatching and having ducks and I started off with Golden Cascades. I was wondering what to look for to try and sex the ducklings? They are almost a week old. I don’t want to try vent sexing them just yet, but I did hear that sometimes the females are lighter, and the males will have bigger feet? Here are some photos. Any feedback is appreciated!

Attachments

• 242A1F6C-D825-4829-BAAD-EDB2B5F2B350.jpeg
    242A1F6C-D825-4829-BAAD-EDB2B5F2B350.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 3502303F-F1A8-40CE-9972-E89AD7411726.jpeg
    3502303F-F1A8-40CE-9972-E89AD7411726.jpeg
    771.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 9DFED6D7-7B03-4780-952C-0FD041FCFC09.jpeg
    9DFED6D7-7B03-4780-952C-0FD041FCFC09.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 21
“Mine turned out to both be males. One of them died so now I have 5 S.A. females and one GC drake. This spring they started laying so I gave some eggs to a friend for incubating. I spoke with Dave Holderread and he said that the GC can only be autosexed when they are crossed with another breed of duck so the only way you could tell the sex of a pure GC duckling is the old fashioned way. (AKA Vent Sexing) I will be curious to see what the SA GC crossed babies look like”

I found this researching real quick about this breed. If you don’t want to vent sex, and they are pure GC, the only option left is waiting it out and voice sexing from 6 weeks and up. Females will quack loudly and males will make a raspy “whaaaaaa whaaaaaaaa”

“Mine turned out to both be males. One of them died so now I have 5 S.A. females and one GC drake. This spring they started laying so I gave some eggs to a friend for incubating. I spoke with Dave Holderread and he said that the GC can only be autosexed when they are crossed with another breed of duck so the only way you could tell the sex of a pure GC duckling is the old fashioned way. (AKA Vent Sexing) I will be curious to see what the SA GC crossed babies look like”

I found this researching real quick about this breed. If you don’t want to vent sex, and they are pure GC, the only option left is waiting it out and voice sexing from 6 weeks and up. Females will quack loudly and males will make a raspy “whaaaaaa whaaaaaaaa”
Thank you for the information! I’ll wait it out and see what they start to do. I heard the “whaaaa whaaa” perfectly in my head lol!

Hello everyone! This is my first time hatching and having ducks and I started off with Golden Cascades. I was wondering what to look for to try and sex the ducklings? They are almost a week old. I don’t want to try vent sexing them just yet, but I did hear that sometimes the females are lighter, and the males will have bigger feet? Here are some photos. Any feedback is appreciated!
Where did you get the hatching eggs/ducklings from?

Back
Top Bottom