Sexing Light Sussex

BLaBauve

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Georgia
Does anyone have any tips for sexing light sussex? Do the roos combs turn red a lot earlier? I have a few around 1 month now and I swear they are all roos (although the combs are all still very pink)! I was hoping someone with light sussex experience could tell me what their first indicator was.

Thanks!

I had 3 light sussex that were about 2 months old until recently when they were all killed by a dog..but from what i learned, the way i could tell was by the wattles and combs .. Even at the young age they were very prominent in the roos.. where as the hen i had didnt have any

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=320111 .. i asked the same question too in this thread ..poor pics but you can kind of make them out

Maybe if you posted pics you could get a deffinate answer

Hope i helped

OK here are pictures. There are 3 chicks total here. They are about 4 weeks old and in the "ugly" stage. One has a comb that is taller than the others, but that is the only difference I can see. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thank you!

Chick 1:
34304_light_sussex_chick_1_a.jpg

34304_light_sussex_chick_1_b.jpg

Chick 2:
34304_light_sussex_chick_2_a.jpg

34304_light_sussex_chick_2_b.jpg

Chick 3:
34304_light_sussex_chick_3_a.jpg

34304_light_sussex_chick_3_b.jpg

Nothing is screaming ROO at me for the moment. I would wait two more weeks or four to make sure. I do not know about Sussex but if they are like Orpingtons, it would be a long wait to find out the sex because they are slow maturing birds.

Well no news is good news I hope.
smile.png
The breeder told be between 4-6 weeks I should be able to sex them. We just got into the 4 week range so I am anxious. . .

Kind of young to tell. But roos have a more angular head than the girls do. And this may sound weird, but they tend to have a different look in their eyes, more suspicious or something.

The first head shot looks more male to me and the second more female. Are they 2 different birds?

Another thing you can look for, is that males stand upright. Girls stand at more of angle.

Also look for pointy hackles and sickles for males and more rounded for females.

It is a little easier to figure out when you are comparing the same breed.

Good luck!

Im not by any means saying im any good at sexing ... It might even be completely wrong ..but from my own experience with the same birds i hatched myself .. and with the help i got off here

I would guess that the first is possibly a boy the second is a girl and the third is more than likely (almost definitely) a boy .. Im just going on the size of the wattles

They could all be boys though as you thought because at 2 months my hen still never had a comb

Back
Top Bottom