sexing SPOT THE COCK BIRD with pic

So the one with pin feathers will be a male and the one that is smooth already a hen?
I am confused.

For terminology sake?

A juvenile chicken under a year of age, cockerels are males and the females are pullets.
An adult chicken over a year in age, males are cockbirds and females are hens.

Just sayin'.

Feather sexing only works when the parent stock has fast feathering genes on one parent's side and slow feathering genes on the other parent's side, making feathering a sexlink feature.

What kind of chicken is it? You can only feather sex chicks that's have been specifically bred for the trait.
Huh, I didn't know that existed. Good to know.

I think the only sure fire way is who is bigger and who crows first.
I also think the prettier of the two will be the male, I had to pick out of a whole bunch of Polish....and rejected a few, they were too pretty. I feared males, can't have another roo. These are (I hope) pullets, and they are darling!
I have a feeling they are a bit ill though, so they are each in there own box, away from the flock. They all got the spa treatment and are being held a LOT. One is noisier than the other two....boy do I hope it is female

Huh, I didn't know that existed. Good to know. 

I think the only sure fire way is who is bigger and who crows first. 
I also think the prettier of the two will be the male, I had to pick out of a whole bunch of Polish....and rejected a few, they were too pretty. I feared males, can't have another roo. These are (I hope) pullets, and they are darling! 
I have a feeling they are a bit ill though, so they are each in there own box, away from the flock. They all got the spa treatment and are being held a LOT. One is noisier than the other two....boy do I hope it is female 
I hope they are pullets too!
I had a very quiet roo one time, so don't give up hope! Lol.

That would be ok, my dh hates the roo we have now, he is a silkie mix, thinks he is hot stuff prancing around the buff orpington....lol. Funniest sight ever.
I will post a few pics later.

Back
Top Bottom