Sexing the Brahma breed, (standard size, Light Brahma)

Pics
Two light Brahms's chicks about 2.5 weeks old. Is there any way to tell boy or girl. They are very different In the feathering. Largest one is still fuzzy and the smaller one is feathering faster. Has a girl look to her face. Fuzzy one is always walking tall and ever watchful of everything. Both sweet.

This one is getting shoulder and tail feathers. The other one in the background has no shoulder or tail feathers. Like baby Huey.
1f601.png

Well, maybe the late feathering one is a boy.... but maybe not. Really hard to tell until 8-12 weeks when adult feathering happens and combs begin reddening. We had two light brahmas who feathered out like that - one fast, one slow. Both ended up hens :)

Well, maybe the late feathering one is a boy.... but maybe not. Really hard to tell until 8-12 weeks when adult feathering happens and combs begin reddening. We had two light brahmas who feathered out like that - one fast, one slow. Both ended up hens :)

Thank you. I figured it's a wait and see. Regardless they are my two favorite chicks right now. All my chicks have tail feathers except this one. I'm leaning towards one male and one female. I think guessing is half the fun.
1f604.png

OK,
So I know it's just a sample size of one, but here are more pictures that might help.

Notice how little and scrawny the rooster (poopy) looks compared to the pullet(Eva). His feathers came in much slower. He also had pasty butt a few times when he was less than a week so I thought that might be why he was growing slower. That's how he got his name, btw.
Also, you can tell his comb very early. See how it looks like 3 ridges and already turning pink?

43310_2009_chicks_-_lt_brahma_for_byc.jpg

Hope this helps!
Well darn it! My only brahma chick looks exactly like the left one in this post. I was really hoping it would be a pullet.

I know it's just a guessing game right now, but my two light Brahmas are so different I'm thinking the slow feathering one is the roo. They are 3-4 weeks old now. The fuzzy one hasn't changed much but the other one is feathering very fast and cute like a girl.
1f60a.png
They had their first day outside and they sure were adorable.
1f601.png

Hello! I just started my first flock this weekend. :) Here are some picks of my Dark and Light Brahmas. I'm concerned that the Light might be a cockerel. But, I'm going to hold out hope since we live in town and can't have a roo.
They are both 6 weeks old. The Dark on is named Pajama and the Light is Blue. Love them!

Back
Top Bottom