Sexing white mandarin ducklings

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by SuperPeacockman, Jun 3, 2011.

1. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Is there a way to sex white Mandarin chicks, the guy I mentioned on craigslist has some 4wk old white ducklings available and I was wondering if the was a way to sex them. Also is 35$ a piece reasonable and he says they do not need heat anymore, are 4wk old ducklings mature enough to go without a lamp?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  2. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I was told vent sexing or DNA testing was the only sure way to sex them before they feather out. Maybe you can tell by beak color too...the males should have pinker/redder bills and maybe do by 4 weeks old (more than my 2 week old reg colored ones do.)
    Also, I was told they need heat til they are about 6 weeks old and fully feathered out (not flight feathers) before going out in the pen overnight.
    Hope that helps. I think the price sounds great...Everywhere I've seen them has white pairs much higher than reg colored pairs. (like $150/pair! Yikes!)
    Good Luck!

3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Gonna be kinda hard to tell bill color on whites considering both are pink. but might be a difference at the young age, something BBB or one of the experienced people are going to have to answer.

4. waterdog

waterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Michigan
    The whites are really hard to sex until they start coloring out other than vent sexing as they are almost identical until the drakes start getting color. At four weeks they shouldn't need much for heat if they have some shelter and it is not below 55 at night. The price is right they run between 125-150.00 a pair.

5. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Can you sex the way that is shown on the Metzer Farms video?

6. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Thats what vent sexing is. you hold the duckling upside down, bend its tail at a 90˚ angle, take two fingers and spread, do not just push down!!, but spread the vent open. sometimes gently pushing down is required but you have to be careful that you don't push to hard and hurt it.

7. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Will it work for 5 or 6 wk old ducks?

8. philter4

philter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Placerville CA
    It works on day old birds, that is how they sex the day old chicks for sale at the feed stores.

9. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    You can sex them this way at any age but is best done as day olds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by