Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I must owe some tax by now, so here's Sven when he first became a daddy
P1070419.JPG

Interesting read. I think we need something more fine-grained though for the tribes argument. So far the only causal factor I can see is imprinting. My broods hang together but what they share is being raised together, not blood; I decide which eggs get brooded, so sometimes we have home bred chicks and purchased hatching eggs incubated and growing up together with the same broody, who may or may not be a blood relative of any of them.

It might be interesting to experiment in the year coming, to see if a brood composed of two distinctly different blood lines split along blood lines once they become independent.
The problems many will have is one needs the same kind of space a feral group, or the jungle fowl claim as territory to allow the chicken to behave in a natural manner. The environments they are kept in has a massive impact on how they behave as it does with any creature.
Also one needs to have a closed flock and the right climate.

Surely a closed flock is not natural?
It would seem not until one has numerous tribes in an area.
It would have been a problem I would have had to deal with in time in Catalonia. My friend who kept Fayoumies was able to expand as each generation was hatched and the last I heard was he had gone to Egypt to find a couple of pairs to establish on the edges of his existing tribes to bring in new blood.
Unfortunately I haven't found any studies on whether the differinng types of jungle fowl have interbred at territory bleed over points. But, the jungle fowl are concentated in particular areas which are in effect closed flock areas, just on a grand scale.
It seems the jungle fowl have inbred for thousands of years as have other environment confined species.

It would seem not until one has numerous tribes in an area.
It would have been a problem I would have had to deal with in time in Catalonia. My friend who kept Fayoumies was able to expand as each generation was hatched and the last I heard was he had gone to Egypt to find a couple of pairs to establish on the edges of his existing tribes to bring in new blood.
Unfortunately I haven't found any studies on whether the differinng types of jungle fowl have interbred at territory bleed over points. But, the jungle fowl are concentated in particular areas which are in effect closed flock areas, just on a grand scale.
It seems the jungle fowl have inbred for thousands of years as have other environment confined species.
here it is "Second, hybridization between domesticated and wild populations is common in nature and thus could mislead the estimation of their genetic differences [32, 33]. Domesticated chickens have been affected by gene flow via hybridization with other RJFs and jungle fowl species over thousands of years [34, 35]. RJFs are widely distributed and could be assigned into five subspecies (G. g. spadiceus, G. g. murghi, G. g. jabouillei, G. g. gallus, and G. g. bankiva) ranging across South and Southeast Asia where they may have been hybridizing with village hens [36]. "
Wang et al. BMC Biology (2021) 19:118 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12915-021-01052-x

And this one,
Frantz, L.A.F., Bradley, D.G., Larson, G. et al. Animal domestication in the era of ancient genomics. Nat Rev Genet 21, 449–460 (2020), which I can't copy.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41576-020-0225-0

It's not quite what you're after, but I suspect they'd be hybridizing with each other if they were hybridizing with village (landrace) hens.

I'm also wondering what's the difference between your 'grand scale' and a species. It's still a long way from a legbar knowing it's legbar and wanting to hang out with other legbars as opposed to, say, a Lohman brown.

and this one which shows genetically that they interbred locally with RJF subspecies and other jungle fowl species, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41422-020-0349-y

Last edited:
Hello Shawsy.
You know me well enough not to pull that religious exemption nonsense on me.
This is a secular thread and tax is levied on all.
You can fill in a low chicken earnings claim form, or use tax overpayments on foreign threads, or ask for a payment contribution from someone else.
I simply have no chickens for tax.🤷🏼‍♀️ I can offer up a duck. That's the best I can do.
20210916_151552_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom