Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

and I don't realy know what I can do to help her. She's eating well. She goes out foraging but when she stops moving she looks terrible.
Must be an autumn depression. Just give her a lot of chocolates and a huge joint!
The cockerel attempted his first crow this evening. He looked shocked.:lol:
😜 And he needs a name by now!
What about Barney or BamBam for the boy & Wilma or Pebbles for the dame.
Elsa is a good names for the girl too. That makes Olaf for the boy. 🥳

Last edited:
The sweary boys.
This term caught me in the funny bone 😁

DH always wanted geese before we realized the noise they make, thanks to evening serenades by neighbor geese 1/2 mile away. I had occasion to visit said neighbor geese la few evenings ago, and they were very sweary. Also sticking their necks out of their run to fight their shepherd dog 😳 Hardcore.
Quenell's one of those. She neatly sidesteps them without getting into a fluster, or even breaking into a run. She would make a very good rugby player. :D

And she's the one with the biggest, puffiest crest, so you'd (I'm looking at you, Shad :D) assume she was at a disadvantage, both from the vision and the grab perspectives. But no. She just skips aside and trots on her merry way. :love
View attachment 3666917
Plumbus has another method. She just keeps trotting away when Merle jumps on her, with Merle standing on her back like he's riding a horse at the circus. Helps that she's bigger than him.

I think that's how she lost a blade on her comb; Merle might've locked on to it in lieu of reins. But she's the only one of Merle's Girls who didn't need an apron this year. And they still love each other. The dandruff on Plumb in this pic comes from preening molting Merle.

DSC08051.jpg

Hopefully Merle's being a little older means he won't strip Hazel & Lorraine's feathers next year. I tried removing Lorraine's apron when her incoming back feathers were small, since she doesn't like wearing it, but in 24 hours, there were baby feathers on the ground and a bare streak across her back (dang it, Merle). Fortunately, she doesn't mind wearing a smaller apron until those feathers firm up. I even had a black one to match her!

IMG_4679.jpg

Back
Top Bottom