Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

It rained overnight and this morning. Temperature thankfully up a 7C.
I only got two hours at the allotments today because of the man in the picture below.
I was waiting at the bus stop along with other people on what is a very busy road for pedestrians and vehicles. The man below is walking along a narrow section of the central reservation. I watched him make his way along the edge where he occasioanlly collapsed over the fence for a few moments and when he toppled off the edge into the road, decided to intervene. Everybody at the bus stop saw the man collapse apart from a couple of people glued to their mobile phones but nobody said or did anything. I went over the road to ask if the man needed any help. He looked like many of the street people in Bristol, there are lots, he wasn't drunk and he had blood dripping out of his mouth. I called an ambulance and put a ten pound note in his pocket. I left shortly after when a police car pulled up.
View attachment 3697161

Three types of feed offered again today. Dry chick crumb, fermented home mix at 40% spelt wheat and a dry mix at 40% spelt. The food I left in the coop overnight was growers pellets and spelt at 50%.
The food bowl in the coop was empty when I cleaned up. I hold around 200g of grain and pellets.
Carbon was the only one who ate a significant amount of the chick feed and between the two mixes I couldn't see a noticable preference. Everybody checked out all the bowls.
View attachment 3697156
View attachment 3697157
View attachment 3697165View attachment 3697164View attachment 3697163View attachment 3697162

Everybody got out for some foraging. They were all obviously more comfortable at 7C than they have been at 0C. It's interesting to read what science says about humans and how they deal with hot and cold temperatures. Research says we are okay to about 10C. Below 10C we undergo physical and mental changes that measurably effect our performance.
View attachment 3697169View attachment 3697168View attachment 3697167View attachment 3697166
View attachment 3697158

On the droppings front...
There's some not shown in the near corners.
View attachment 3697155
View attachment 3697159
Generally good and about 30% more than yesterday.

View attachment 3697154
It's so strange when people don't assist one another.

Good on you for being someone who cares.

Everybody got out for some foraging. They were all obviously more comfortable at 7C than they have been at 0C. It's interesting to read what science says about humans and how they deal with hot and cold temperatures. Research says we are okay to about 10C. Below 10C we undergo physical and mental changes that measurably affect our performance.
Yep, 4C here and I can attest to that :p

Everybody at the bus stop saw the man collapse apart from a couple of people glued to their mobile phones but nobody said or did anything. I went over the road to ask if the man needed any help. He looked like many of the street people in Bristol, there are lots, he wasn't drunk and he had blood dripping out of his mouth.
There are so many people who just don't care or are afraid to get involved. There are millions of people one paycheck away from being homeless, you would think there would be more compassion and common human decency. I don't even like people but, you just can't ignore certain things.

Is that Henry imparting some fatherly training on gentlemanly things?

Mix 1/2 teaspoon of Blackstrap (dark) molasses with 1/4 cup warm water and a dash of ginger. Carefully syringe it to her. Gently massage the crop and then abdomen.
This morning I gave Ini mini a few grapes. With a few jealous chickens hanging around to steal them. She reacted normal. 😅

Thanks for the tip. But I don’t know what Blackstrap is. And Google translate was no help. But the ferro can’t be good for an easier stool.
Early afternoon the chickens had their free range hour and Ini mini seemed completely fine again. I filled the waterers with tea from ginger and garlic. Waited till the water cooled off (luke) to bring it out. Thought it could do no harm. The chickens liked it.

Great you helped Shadrach. 😍

Three hours of cold again today. It's my hands and brain, neither of them function properly in the cold. The eldest gave me a pair of chemical reaction hand warming pads to try out. She had used them in the morning on her bike in a local woods and they were still giving out heat when I finally headed back to the flat on the 20.50 train.

Carbon's droppings were well within acceptable overnight in quality. They are confined to the coop from around 4pm when they go to roost until 8am when the pop door opens. That on the floor is a pathetic quantity of shite for five chickens confined for that period. I know, it's odd to find anyone complaining that there wasn't enough shite to clean up.:D

View attachment 3696556

Yesterday I thought they hadn't eaten much of the spelt grain but today they were pretty even about what they ate of the fermented feed. If they'll eat the spelt which has a good amino acid range and the protein analysis is correct at 17%mixed in with the other grains and seeds from my current estimates I've got a feed.

Most of the commercial feeds I've seen have cheap wheat mixed with pea protein or soy protein to get the protein percentage up and complete the essential amino acids. Spelt has a good range of amino acids, particularly methionine and Lysine when uncooked.
View attachment 3696575

Everybody came out and for the last couple of hours the sun shone.
View attachment 3696559
View attachment 3696558
View attachment 3696557View attachment 3696555
Look at Dig's tailfeathers!
:eek:

Everybody at the bus stop saw the man collapse apart from a couple of people glued to their mobile phones but nobody said or did anything. I went over the road to ask if the man needed any help. He looked like many of the street people in Bristol, there are lots, he wasn't drunk and he had blood dripping out of his mouth. I called an ambulance and put a ten pound note in his pocket. I left shortly after when a police car pulled up.
People either are afraid to get involved or don't care.
Many people are close to being in his shoes.
So glad you were able to get help.

People either are afraid to get involved or don't care.
Many people are close to being in his shoes.
So glad you were able to get help.
Made me think of this:

20d8d801-1317-419e-b416-6aee82bb715c_936x596~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom