Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I've dealt with a lot of Scaly Leg Mite. I've been writing about it on this thread recently. Henry has it. He's had it most of his life. His daughter Matilda had it. His daughter Mow has it. None mentioned have dropped dead, or gone off their food.
I had quite a few birds in Catalonia that were susceptible to SLM; none died, ate less or even looked depressed about the problem.
I had birds in Hertfordshire that also seemed to be susceptible to SLM. None went off their food and none died.

All the birds that had SLM lived with roosted with, mated with and bathed with other birds who didn't have SLM. Not once did any of the non SLM birds catch SLM.

It seems from my experiences at least that it is a genetic problem, some birds are susceptible to it while others are not, irrespective of the contact with infected birds.

The advice to isolate and even kill infected birds is just plain ludicrous but many of the medical texts advise isolation for just about any health problem. Isolation from the group is often the worst thing one can do. The bird gets stressed and the stress slows and in some case prevents full recovery.

The same unhelpfull expert advice regarding Ivermectin is trotted out over and over again despite the obvious problem. For Ivermectin to work the mite has to feed on the bird. The bird isn't overly concerned with mites wandering around on their body; it's the mite biting and feeding that's the problem.
Ideally what one wants and what the bird wants is to kill the mite before it feeds. It's why Permethrin is a better solution to mites than Ivermectin; it kills the live mites without the necessity of the mite feeding. Unfortunately niether chemical deals with the eggs so treatment will be ongoing. With Ivermectin and a laying hen, if one takes the withdrawral advice one might not be able to eat the eggs from the treated bird for months.

The fastest way to deal with SLM is to drown them in surgical spirit, rubbing alcohol for the Americans. One needs to keep the legs submerged for a couple of minutes. Anything that can be applied to the legs and feet of the bird that will stay in place and suffocate the mites will work. Most experienced chicken keepers know this. I have used various things but a mixture of iodine which is anti fungal and antiseptic and Vaseline works well provided one gets adequated coverage. The problem is it's all a bit messy and requires lenghty handling of the bird which many keepers are uncomfortable with or unable to do.

The next problem is many keepers do not understand that the scales will not return to normal and because the lifted scales don't return to their normal position they assume the mites haven't been killed. The scales don't return to normal until the bird sheds the old scales and grows in new. Mow is currently growing in new scales on the patches the old scales have either fallen off or been picked off.

Isolation, Ivermectin and killing the bird is just bonkers. Using Ivermectin on a particulary bad case makes sense if a smothering/drowning treatment is used in conjuction.
you might need to start thinking about alternatives to Permethrin:
https://www.pan-uk.org/pet-meds-environment/

Are they pretty? I haven't found any really colourful hyphae yet, but the Sheldrake book has some stunning photos of some.

On the guide, never mind. I expect a book written for the funga in your part of the world would be of limited use here anyway. I get the impression the whole field is in such flux that anybody even thinking of writing one would hold fire for now.
Some are bright orange!
Next time I am rootling around I will get some pictures.
I find them curiously lovely - silently, and out of sight, slowly working to create lovely rich soil.

I haven't been able to find any products containing permethrin that are aimed at pest control for chickens on over counter sale in the UK. All those products for chickens that do contain permethrin are prescription only.
some vets are involved; this is not just about prescription v otc. "Twenty-four environmental and veterinary organisations – including The Progressive Veterinary Association, Veterinary Poisons Information Service, RSPB and The Wildlife Trusts – have written an open letter calling on the UK Government to ban these five toxic pesticides from being included in medicines for cats and dogs...." Permethrin has been banned from agricultural use since 2002.

some vets are involved; this is not just about prescription v otc. "Twenty-four environmental and veterinary organisations – including The Progressive Veterinary Association, Veterinary Poisons Information Service, RSPB and The Wildlife Trusts – have written an open letter calling on the UK Government to ban these five toxic pesticides from being included in medicines for cats and dogs...." Permethrin has been banned from agricultural use since 2002.
I can't help seeing some irony here. If people didn't keep pets then there would be a massive reduction in the need for these pesticides, but then we wouldn't need vets either.:p

The authorities are discussing such new rules in the Netherlands too. . Such registration is not made for BYChicken keepers but to protect factory farming, where they have a real problem with bird flu because the chickens live in harsh and crowded circumstances.
Thanks to reading this thread, I just discovered we are supposed to declare our poultry too in France since 2006 😂. Although the decree is slightly ambiguous if this concerns the whole country or only region under Avian Flu alert. I can just imagine the look of the people at the town hall if I would show up with the required form - I'm sure no one here has the slightest clue about it !
It's mandatory to register cats and dogs with an ID chip, but we haven't done it for our cats. It's also mandatory to register bees, which we have done.
I have mixed feelings on this. In a way, I think it's useful information, to assess how many animals live in a region and the global number of each pet specie. But I also can see how that data could be used in a frightening way, especially in the case of AI.
you might need to start thinking about alternatives to Permethrin:
https://www.pan-uk.org/pet-meds-environment/
Very interesting. Fipronil is still very much used here for cats and dogs. There was a Fipronil contaminated egg scandal a few years ago which concerned many European countries...in France, the main problem laying hens commercial structures have is bioresistance to permethrin, since it was one of the only authorized product for laying hens. Bioresistance is an unavoidable evolution at some point if only one molecule is used; it is the ability of living organisms to adapt to stay alive.

@Perris my neighbour gave us a huge bunch of left-over slightly tough winter leeks yesterday, and our potatoes are beginning to look really sad, so I had a go at homity pie. Not sure how close to the actual thing I came ! My partner loved it, but I thought it tasted a bit like potatoes on a pie crust 😂.
IMG_20240321_192130.jpg

ah, a very trad remedy. Have you noticed any downsides to using that? Or tips for those of us who might give it a try?
I put a lb of elemental sulfur powder in the dust bath every so often or when they dig a new one. I have dusted the coop floor and roosts when I do a spring cleaning.
At first I poofed the birds with a thin sock filled. I had tame birds and had seen one louse on a turkey after a flock of black birds roosted in the poultry yard trees. That's the only one I have seen. But my birds can't be handled so I only check dead birds.

Back
Top Bottom