Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Four hours today. It's got colder and there were occasional bouts of drizzle.
Dig is dead and Henry is already looking out for Mow. He checked on her a few times today and this evening he herded her back towards the coop. He also came out of the coop this evening went into the run and sort of ushered Mow under the coop extension with Carbon and Fret.
Will they miss Dig? Mow might for a while. I've held off for so long mainly because of how Mow might feel. I will despite the problems.
In feral conditions the offspring rarely stay with the parents once they start reaching maturity.
I feel like I've done the right thing; lets hope my feelings are right.
P4150578.JPG
P4150580.JPG
P4150581.JPG
P4150582.JPG
P4150583.JPG
P4150584.JPG

Four hours today. It's got colder and there were occasional bouts of drizzle.
Dig is dead and Henry is already looking out for Mow. He checked on her a few times today and this evening he herded her back towards the coop. He also came out of the coop this evening went into the run and sort of ushered Mow under the coop extension with Carbon and Fret.
Will they miss Dig? Mow might for a while. I've held off for so long mainly because of how Mow might feel. I will despite the problems.
In feral conditions the offspring rarely stay with the parents once they start reaching maturity.
I feel like I've done the right thing; lets hope my feelings are right.
View attachment 3802439View attachment 3802438View attachment 3802437View attachment 3802436View attachment 3802435View attachment 3802434
:hugs

Sad for these tough circumstances, but also very happy for the overall relief and future harmony of the flock. Those bald spots certainly won't be missed. Henry was so harassed-looking at the beginning of this thread, and you have brought so much peace and balance to both him, and the flock, even today. Thank you, Shadrach, for continuing to share this journey!

Sad for these tough circumstances, but also very happy for the overall relief and future harmony of the flock. Those bald spots certainly won't be missed. Henry was so harassed-looking at the beginning of this thread, and you have brought so much peace and balance to both him, and the flock, even today. Thank you, Shadrach, for continuing to share this journey!
As you can see from the third picture I posted earlier Henry is having a nap in the peace and quiet.:D

Update on Coed: his condition has recovered significantly (he was ready to rumble with the rest for his share of breakfast this morning :p), and I managed to get this photo yesterday. Note the outside toe left foot, raised. Is this just an artefact of how his movement looked when the shutter happened to open, or might he have broken that toe? Or higher up, at the ankle joint?
DSC04330.JPG

I have a rooster question that I can't find an answer to by using search, figured this might be a good place to ask since there's so much experience here.

When a hen is broody, or immediately afterwards when she's caring for her chicks, is it "normal" for a rooster to mate with her despite her strident resistance and objections? She was screaming like she's never done before, her chicks around her. She's not laying.

Back
Top Bottom