Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Who takes care of the geese?
Nobody takes care of the geese. C feeds them most days and they get let out a couple of days a week for a few hours. I feed them when I have enough with me. C says they feed them in the evening as well. I have my doubts and feed them what is a more interesting question.
Nobody I've spoken to knows why the geese are on the allotment. I don't think it was a "community" choice. They will eat a kilo of feed between them each day. I doubt they get anything like that in proper feed.

Matilda contemplating further excavation.
View attachment 3002996

I opened up this stretch that runs along side the geese enclosure today. No prizes for guessing who was first to get digging. Lima and Dusk were in there like a shot. I expect more will get the idea tomorrow.
View attachment 3002999

A reasonable shot of Dusk's face. I think she's lovely.
View attachment 3003005
Henry's problem. There are a few over there. A few here. A few by the coop. A few under the tree and only one of him.:barnie
View attachment 3003006
My roosters envy Henry. Here there's a 3 to 1 ratio of hens to roosters. After a period of having no bantam rooster for our smaller girls because Pancho was killed my wife got crazy for roosters.

Nobody takes care of the geese. C feeds them most days and they get let out a couple of days a week for a few hours. I feed them when I have enough with me. C says they feed them in the evening as well. I have my doubts and feed them what is a more interesting question.
Nobody I've spoken to knows why the geese are on the allotment. I don't think it was a "community" choice. They will eat a kilo of feed between them each day. I doubt they get anything like that in proper feed.
That's so cruel

I think many people in farm environment are used to feeding old bread to their animals and poultry.
Our neighbour's 20 rabbits survive on it with hay; so do a pair of abandoned ponies that are about 45 mn walk up in the forest and to whom a 75 year old neighbour feed a huge bag of hard bread everyday. (They are now 33 and 36 and survived last winter in 80 cm of snow with only the daily bread and pellets I brought once a week).
We know now that feeding bread, especially industrial, is not good for most animal farms, but it's difficult to change your mind if you've seen it done forever.
Not saying this is right, just that's it's not that uncommon. It's easier to teach someone who start knowing nothing (like me☺️) than someone who's sure they know what's right.

Back
Top Bottom