Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Mom and babies are enjoying a bath.
27744410307077.jpeg

Coincidentally, for those who can receive it (and indeed, wish to :D) there is a programme on BBC4 tonight on this very topic: "Dr George McGavin and Dr Zoe Laughlin set up base camp at one of the UK's biggest sewage works to investigate the revolutionary science finding vital renewable resources and undiscovered life in human waste.Teaming up with world-class scientists, they search for biological entities in sewage with potentially lifesaving medical properties, find out how pee can generate electricity, how gas from poo can fuel a car and how nutrients in waste can help solve the soil crisis. They follow each stage of the sewage treatment process, revealing what the stuff we flush can tell us about how we live today, and the mindboggling biotechnology being harnessed to clean it, making the wastewater safe enough to return to the environment" Yum!
My husband has a degree in environmental engineering and spent the last three years working on the construction of a wastewater treatment plant for our area. Before that, he’d done some designs for similar plants, and I find the science pretty fascinating. If it’s being producing prodigious quantities, you might as well do something productive with it!

This is Henry visiting me dropping hints about a few treats for his hens. As you can see I was sat down and Henry likes to get the treat bit over with in case I doze off and forget.:D
View attachment 3002108
He's taken himself and few hens over to where my rucksack hangs and in human terms is now standing there tapping his toes with impatience. Obviously he doesn't want to be seen to be making false promises.
View attachment 3002109
View attachment 3002109View attachment 3002109After a bit more foraging they usually come and keep me company as I sit in the chair and get down to some serious grooming.View attachment 3002112View attachment 3002113View attachment 3002115
Wow, that's incredible Henry is a tap dancer and I thought Jaffar was exceptional :D

Between my chickens and dogs I got very few apples or pears last year. This year I'll put up temporary fences.
I had to do that around our single apple tree to keep the deer out of it. It usually doesn't produce much but last year there were a lot of apples. I don't mind sharing but the deer don't seem to have the same attitude.

How the heck is Henry still white after all that mud? :lol: He is such a dignified rooster.
You're right. He is a very dignified chap, not just in looks but in behaviour as well. He'll ask and then move on when it comes to food and mating his hens.
He does his best to keep an eye on all his hens but the RSL's are all over the place. I don't know how long it would take for them to understand they need to stay reaonably close to Henry.

It's a bit of a waste isn't it.:confused:
Does the allotment have a box where people can leave their excess for others to help themselves to? If so, dropping food on the ground is unfathomably wasteful. If not, maybe such a box is needed?

I'm also wondering if someone's child or grandchild dropped it when they weren't being observed.

Back
Top Bottom