Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Apparently Calcium Citrate rather than Calcium Carbonate works fastest and best.
Yes. The theory is that it is better absorbed or more of it is absorbed. I have not seen scientific evidence for that but It is a reasonable hypothesis.
I give Calcium citrate with vitamin D in caplet form sold for use by people in the pharmacy.
The caplet form makes it easy to pop into the hens mouth and it goes down the hatch before she spots what I did.
I can usually get 2-3 down without any meaningful objection.

Well. A couple of weeks ago I was looking on BYC for some info on fatty liver in chickens and stumbled into this thread. I have been a BYC devotee for slightly longer than I’ve had chickens, but am at a point now where I tune in more often for specific information rather than diving in for a daily ration. There’s a lot on BYC that is far removed from anything even remotely avian and I find it hard sometimes to sift through it all in search of information relevent to my situation.

Out of respect for the rest of you here, I felt that catching up was the thing to do, so I’ve been reading feverishly every spare minute! I could barely hold myself back from just jumping in sometimes (the anthropomorphism discussion, for instance!) What a read. Thank you all.
I may owe serious fines if lurking is a taxable offense.

I have followed Shadrach’s missives since early on, especially his graduate course in Rooster Relations, and it is with gratitude that I say his insight has changed my relationship with all my animals.

I do have one hen who technically qualifies as an ex-battery girl. Maizie is, I believe, a red sexlink who we aquired from our neighbor when most of his unsecured flock was slaughtered one night last fall by a trio of young bobcats. She and Bertie, an Austrolorp mix, were the only survivors and were going to be left to their own devices by their idiot of an owner - and that’s when I said how about they come over and hang out with us until you get your shit together?

And so they did.

Until delving into Sharach’s thread I never thought much about Maizie being an ex-bat. I’m familiar with the facility she came from, a local organic farm where the chickens probably have it pretty good, all things considered. Layers live on the ground and actually spend their days rotating through real pasture. That said, they are hatchery birds bred to be daily layers and tend to be “retired” around the age of two and a half. My neighbor worked there for a while and acquired four of their hens when that generation was being ”phased out”.

Even after that unimaginably terrifyiing night, Maizie hasn't missed a day of laying the largest egg in our basket - consistently 72-74 gms, jumbo according to the USDA (though I believe UK standards are higher). I‘m guessing she’s going on three years of age now.

Maizie isn’t the type of bird I would have intentionally sought. She isn’t particularly attractive or interesting. We are limited coop-wise to a small flock, 10-12 birds, and red sexlinks never seemed like anything special to me (I am ashamed to say now). That said, I don’t know if it was the timing of discovering this thread, or something else, but I have a whole new appreciation for Miss Maizie, and it is good.

Let me see if I can find a picture of her.

12538CC3-5A50-4B68-A766-B2C8A8DA2A44.jpeg
F444DA0E-B394-4725-9125-0E2F2F5925DD.jpeg

In addition to Maizie, this second photo includes Bertie, the other surviving flockmate, and Mr. Aegis, our rooster, who I must say did roll out the red carpet for the new girls! ❤️

Something - probably a fox - attacked around 6 when I was gone a mere 20 mins to get a few items at the corner shop. No-one was anywhere to be found on my return, and 5 separate clumps of feathers suggested that Maria and Venka had been taken. I completed two circuits, unable to find anyone, before the first bird showed itself - Phoenix, the heir apparent. And over the course of the next 2 hours every single one reappeared :ya.

Maria has lost some of her tail feathers and Venka some wing feathers, but both seem otherwise ok. They are both 5 years old, and evidently still fit and agile enough to have dodged that bullet :love. Fox deterrents have been placed, but it's going to be a difficult few days, for me if not them. Maria went to roost soon after tea but otherwise everyone behaved normally, so I'm optimistic that there will be little or no shock exhibited tomorrow -or rather, today.
My new computer needs a cable, so I am posting on a tablet. Photos to follow when I am properly back online.

Well. A couple of weeks ago I was looking on BYC for some info on fatty liver in chickens and stumbled into this thread. I have been a BYC devotee for slightly longer than I’ve had chickens, but am at a point now where I tune in more often for specific information rather than diving in for a daily ration. There’s a lot on BYC that is far removed from anything even remotely avian and I find it hard sometimes to sift through it all in search of information relevent to my situation.

Out of respect for the rest of you here, I felt that catching up was the thing to do, so I’ve been reading feverishly every spare minute! I could barely hold myself back from just jumping in sometimes (the anthropomorphism discussion, for instance!) What a read. Thank you all.

I have followed Shadrach’s missives since early on, especially his graduate course in Rooster Relations, and it is with gratitude that I say his insight has changed my relationship with all my animals.

I do have one hen who technically qualifies as an ex-battery girl. Maizie is, I believe, a red sexlink who we aquired from our neighbor when most of his unsecured flock was slaughtered one night last fall by a trio of young bobcats. She and Bertie, an Austrolorp mix, were the only survivors and were going to be left to their own devices by their idiot of an owner - and that’s when I said how about they come over and hang out with us until you get your shit together?

And so they did.

Until delving into Sharach’s thread I never thought much about Maizie being an ex-bat. I’m familiar with the facility she came from, a local organic farm where the chickens probably have it pretty good, all things considered. Layers live on the ground and actually spend their days rotating through real pasture. That said, they are hatchery birds bred to be daily layers and tend to be “retired” around the age of two and a half. My neighbor worked there for a while and acquired four of their hens when that generation was being ”phased out”.

Even after that unimaginably terrifyiing night, Maizie hasn't missed a day of laying the largest egg in our basket - consistently 72-74 gms, jumbo according to the USDA (though I believe UK standards are higher). I‘m guessing she’s going on three years of age now.

Maizie isn’t the type of bird I would have intentionally sought. She isn’t particularly attractive or interesting. We are limited coop-wise to a small flock, 10-12 birds, and red sexlinks never seemed like anything special to me (I am ashamed to say now). That said, I don’t know if it was the timing of discovering this thread, or something else, but I have a whole new appreciation for Miss Maizie, and it is good.

View attachment 3118118View attachment 3118120
In addition to Maizie, this second photo includes Bertie, the other surviving flockmate, and Mr. Aegis, our rooster, who I must say did roll out the red carpet for the new girls! ❤️
Hello @One Lucky Momma - welcome to the thread!

course of the next 2 hours every single one reappeared :ya.

Maria has lost some of her tail feathers and Venka some wing feathers, but both seem otherwise ok. They are both 5 years old, and evidently still fit and agile enough to have dodged that bullet :love.
What a relief. What a rollercoaster! That’s what you do, isn’t it, have tea when things get tense and then everything is alright? I’m very happy for you, and them.

And so they did.

View attachment 3118118View attachment 3118120
Nice to meet you :frow

I have a healthy hen who was diagnosed with fatty liver haemorrhagic syndrome a couple of years ago. She's on a diet that was specified by an avian vet and is doing extremely well on it. Please reach out if you would like further details.

Something - probably a fox - attacked around 6 when I was gone a mere 20 mins to get a few items at the corner shop. No-one was anywhere to be found on my return, and 5 separate clumps of feathers suggested that Maria and Venka had been taken. I completed two circuits, unable to find anyone, before the first bird showed itself - Phoenix, the heir apparent. And over the course of the next 2 hours every single one reappeared :ya.

Maria has lost some of her tail feathers and Venka some wing feathers, but both seem otherwise ok. They are both 5 years old, and evidently still fit and agile enough to have dodged that bullet :love. Fox deterrents have been placed, but it's going to be a difficult few days, for me if not them. Maria went to roost soon after tea but otherwise everyone behaved normally, so I'm optimistic that there will be little or no shock exhibited tomorrow -or rather, today.
My new computer needs a cable, so I am posting on a tablet. Photos to follow when I am properly back online.
Wow.
I am dealing with a predator for the 1st time ever but am pleased to say my girls are showing every sign of being really predator savvy ~ thanks mostly to my Campines who are super alert & very skittish. My lead hen is pretty calm but my Wyandotte Frizzle was having hysterics the other morning & all tangled in crab pots with everyone going off like car sirens all around her. 🙄 I have a mix of standards & bantams & interestingly the bantams will usually run between a standard & cover of some sort so they have the most protection possible. The big girls have to take a greater risk crossing open ground.

Back
Top Bottom