Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Campines have that completely dark eye too. I find it irresistible.
So do Braekels - not surprisingly, as they're very closely related to Campines - and Norfolk Greys. Just so happens I got a photo of them both together the other day
P1110867 (2).JPG

I find the dark eye very attractive too.

So do Braekels - not surprisingly, as they're very closely related to Campines - and Norfolk Greys. Just so happens I got a photo of them both together the other day
View attachment 3244537
I find the dark eye very attractive too.
I love the look of that Braekel! šŸ„° Not so surprising...šŸ¤£ Do they only come in the silver or do you get goldens as well?

I love the look of that Braekel! šŸ„° Not so surprising...šŸ¤£ Do they only come in the silver or do you get goldens as well?
apparently they come in 8 varieties (!), but I'm not sure you'd find many outside Belgium. This is very thorough and has something on Campines too http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/11E04A05.pdf

I can see you going for the white-barred gold bantam :D

I have another candidate characteristic for head hen: acting guardian for youngsters not ready to go it alone. Reason: I couldn't see Ida (the most retiring of Eve's 3 12-week olds, recently sent away by her) at lock up, so lifted the lids on all the nest boxes, and finally found her snuggled behind Maria and her (3 week old) chicks. Maria did this for another timid youngster 2 years ago. Unlike that case, there can be no question of biological affinity in this case, as Ida was a purchased hatching egg; she is genetically unrelated to any one else in the flock.

apparently they come in 8 varieties (!), but I'm not sure you'd find many outside Belgium. This is very thorough and has something on Campines too http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/11E04A05.pdf

I can see you going for the white-barred gold bantam :D
That was a lovely read. Thank you. I did know some of it but that is the most in depth read I've seen. You are quite right. I could fall head over heels for the white gold barred bantams. šŸ¤£ The white barred are interesting too. Pretty sure they're not available out here ~ which is probably a good thing! I had noticed some of my silver Campines didn't have the super dark eyes, so it is handy to know why that was.

I love everything about these varieties of birds: they have personality plus; they have a lovely body shape, gorgeous colouring, are smart & savvy, reasonable layers & not overly broody.

Now that the weather is more tolerable here I'm going to pick up a couple packs of hot dogs and a carton of beer and enjoy my coming Sunday. Best way to recharge that I know of. I always cook for the pups when I grill. They ain't picky and love everything I cook. Seeing the pups play and the chickens ranging does my heart good.ā¤
Find a small stream to dip your feet in while you're at it.

Back
Top Bottom