Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I have a great uncle with dementia. He doesnt remember where he is but he feels like he should know where he is. I can not imagine the confusion he is suffering. The other day he had a breakdown and we had to drive to his house where he lives with his ex wife. It all started when he was taken to the hospital for the first time. Before that he made himself breakfast every morning and took care of him self. He quit driving probably last year or the year before that. When we went to calm him down he was crying and saying he just wanted somebody to put a bullet through his head. I feel so bad for him. 94 years is a long time. He declined very quickly also. Now he just wants to be dead. People dont seem to do well for very long after they lose the will to live.
I'm going to be really harsh here and demand double tax.
You may post about chickens, or chicken related subjects and not pay tax.

I feel a certain responsibility for that one, sorry. So here's two cocks for the tax man, synchronised preening
P1090327.JPG

Don't worry. I got some more poctures the other day. Were just saying how it felt bad to prolong human life. I am sorry. Here we go. Well. Now I can not get pictures to load. Like my thing at the top is completely gray. Dang it! Now I owe more tax! I will pay up when I get this sorted out.
I'll help you out:

1639502000359.jpeg

1639502132907.jpeg

1639502041812.jpeg

regarding the 'proper chickens' question, this is alarming: "Muir et al. (2008) were the first to assess the genetic diversity of several inbred lines of chicken (n = 2580) using a commercial SNP genotyping array. They showed that more than 50% of the ancestral genetic diversity was lost in the commercial lines compared to the experimental lines and standard breeds. " https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/age.13091
Good to know there is actual research into this. I based my assessment of reverting to wild-type on other species I know about. I will have to read this thoroughly later (there is a LOT there). Just skimming, it looks like they really did sequence a bunch of different breeds and landraces all over the world.

However, one of the ways reversion happens is that even if one breed has only 50% of wild type genes, another breed may have a different 50%. By allowing crossbreeding and natural selection to occur, you still get generic drift towards a more wild-type animal, even if it is isn't exactly like the wild version.

In short, nature won't reward a fat and slow, non-broody breed. Or those with coloration that stands out too blatantly to predators. Or any number of things we've talked about here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom