Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Wait… isn’t whey just protein derived from dairy? How do they “drink” it? Forgive my ignorance… can you buy liquid whey protein?
If you leave some milk out the fridge too long it may start to turn 'sour'. Leave it a bit longer and it'll separate into curds, which is a simple 'cottage cheese' and whey, which is a watery liquid. I think it needs quite a lot of processing to turn that liquid into powder; the natural state is liquid.

If you leave some milk out the fridge too long it may start to turn 'sour'. Leave it a bit longer and it'll separate into curds, which is a simple 'cottage cheese' and whey, which is a watery liquid. I think it needs quite a lot of processing to turn that liquid into powder; the natural state is liquid.
Oh!!! I did not realize that was where whey came from. My kid buys whey protein powder and I used to many years ago. I wonder how they make it.

I dabbled briefly with cheese making, and make my own yogurt regularly. Here’s what I learned:

When you are making cheese or Greek yogurt, you warm the milk, than add your bacterial innoculant. Different temperatures for different bacterial strains, and the bacteria will determine (in part) what dairy product it will create. Then the inoculated milk is allowed to incubate, and the bacteria goes to work digesting the lactose in the milk and acidifies the milk as a byproduct of digestion. The acid causes the proteins to change shape (denature) and the milk starts to form a jelly-like matrix where the whey and casein proteins are suspended.

If making Greek yogurt, you would at this point pour everything into a strainer lined with a cloth and the whey just drips out. For cheeses, the matrix is cut into pieces that will form curds, then let to sit so the curds (made of casein) begin to settle in the watery whey. The whey is then poured off and the curds are pressed to expel more whey, then eventually aged.

The whey was traditionally fed to chickens or pigs, though there are a few whey-based cheeses one could opt to make. They are much more time intensive because it is more difficult to get the whey proteins to separate out, and often include cooking or adding additional acid to accomplish that.

As we have discussed previously, the industrial food system is very efficient, and found a way to make money off of whey. I’m not sure of the process, but I would think it could be something as simple as dehydrating the whey and powdering it.

Tax for my cheese making tangent.

1-2. Muddy Sophia
3. Fuzzy (my flock queen) wasn’t convinced that I’d really emptied the entire bucket of veggie scraps, so she knocked it over and inspected it for herself. It was empty.
4. Everyone sorting through the scraps.

Attachments

• 5EBEF2C9-E84A-4029-83D9-166F82258E30.jpeg
    5EBEF2C9-E84A-4029-83D9-166F82258E30.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 38B1E3D7-1E74-4B87-8793-FF4EBD16C243.jpeg
    38B1E3D7-1E74-4B87-8793-FF4EBD16C243.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 3
  • AEAB6B3E-8674-4B57-9BF5-B066A4F00B6C.jpeg
    AEAB6B3E-8674-4B57-9BF5-B066A4F00B6C.jpeg
    719.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 3EE6E14F-E492-4AED-9C97-73D3334197ED.jpeg