Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I am in the middle of reading a rather interesting history book about chickens and their role in human 'civilization'.
It turns out that in many parts of the world using chickens for food is a relatively recent phenomenon - for vast swathes of history, and over many parts of the world they were primarily for religious purposes and for fighting (those two being intermingled in some places), they were also revered and prized as pets - principly the domain of nobles and royalty.
For example when Julius Caesar invaded Britain he was surprised to find it was against the law to eat chickens. The Romans ate chickens and eggs, but when they left the Brits more-or-less stopped eating chicken prefering geese and pigs as their source of meat.
Sorry - long answer - more than you were probably interested in - but I am finding this book fascinating so am a bit absorbed by it at the moment!

What is the title of your book and who is the author?

I am in the middle of reading a rather interesting history book about chickens and their role in human 'civilization'.
It turns out that in many parts of the world using chickens for food is a relatively recent phenomenon - for vast swathes of history, and over many parts of the world they were primarily for religious purposes and for fighting (those two being intermingled in some places), they were also revered and prized as pets - principly the domain of nobles and royalty.
For example when Julius Caesar invaded Britain he was surprised to find it was against the law to eat chickens. The Romans ate chickens and eggs, but when they left the Brits more-or-less stopped eating chicken prefering geese and pigs as their source of meat.
Sorry - long answer - more than you were probably interested in - but I am finding this book fascinating so am a bit absorbed by it at the moment!
Like these little guys. ;)
*The Japanese bantam is a charming miniature – a true bantam with no larger counterpart. This bantam whilst developed to perfection in Japan, has its origins in South China, as their Japanese name ‘Chabo’ indicates. The history of the Japanese bantam can be traced back to the Tang Dynasty (618 – 906) where they were kept only in the royal gardens of the emperor. From 1200 – 1500, the Edo emperors allowed the birds to be freely moved throughout Japan. Japanese Bantams began to appear in Japanese art around the year 1635.* [https://www.planetpoultry.com.au/]
20210208_184308.jpg

Like these little guys. ;)
*The Japanese bantam is a charming miniature – a true bantam with no larger counterpart. This bantam whilst developed to perfection in Japan, has its origins in South China, as their Japanese name ‘Chabo’ indicates. The history of the Japanese bantam can be traced back to the Tang Dynasty (618 – 906) where they were kept only in the royal gardens of the emperor. From 1200 – 1500, the Edo emperors allowed the birds to be freely moved throughout Japan. Japanese Bantams began to appear in Japanese art around the year 1635.* [https://www.planetpoultry.com.au/]
View attachment 2966922
Exactly!

The book is called Why Did the Chicken Cross the World - the epic saga of the bird that powers civilization. Author is Andrew Lawler
Here is a link to the author's website page for that book and to a Smithsonian article on the topic that he co-authored.
https://www.andrewlawler.com/chicken-book/
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-the-chicken-conquered-the-world-87583657/
I am only a third of the way through the book but so far I have learned a lot and found it an easy read (I got a bit lost in the debate about how people migrated to the new world which is apparently a big field of ancient historical debate).
Thank you for the references. I will see if I can manage to get hold of the book. The article is a fun and catchy read!

Shadrach, how many hens are left now, is it 21 ? And were there some that you were really worried about, apart from Lima, that made it through?
Down to 20 now with one on the critical list now.:(
I worry about them all to be frank. Not nail biting breakdown worry, but they're on my mind a lot. Ex Battery hens can be stressfull at the best of times; under these circumstances where there isn't much I can do for the sick, I just have to walk away so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom