Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I am in the middle of reading a rather interesting history book about chickens and their role in human 'civilization'.
It turns out that in many parts of the world using chickens for food is a relatively recent phenomenon - for vast swathes of history, and over many parts of the world they were primarily for religious purposes and for fighting (those two being intermingled in some places), they were also revered and prized as pets - principly the domain of nobles and royalty.
For example when Julius Caesar invaded Britain he was surprised to find it was against the law to eat chickens. The Romans ate chickens and eggs, but when they left the Brits more-or-less stopped eating chicken prefering geese and pigs as their source of meat.
Sorry - long answer - more than you were probably interested in - but I am finding this book fascinating so am a bit absorbed by it at the moment!
Interesting! Please share what book you are reading!

I already posted this on Bob’s thread and I know there is some overlap, but thpught we could have a little chat on hens crowing. Please share your thoughts and experiences. This is the first time I’ve heard it in my flock.
Princess used to crow amongst other sounds when she was young before and after she had laid an egg. Before she had laid I wasn't sure if she was a roo, as I was inexperienced.
She rarely lays now so I often used too wonder if this was the reason but now I tend to think it could possibly be her breed

One if my chickens almost mimicked next doors small dog's, I was outside looking too see if one of the dog's had managed to get into my garden I was so convinced. Maybe that was princess too :confused:

Yes, what I needed to know in your opinion are the eggs safe to eat?
https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-medication/flubenvet-used-for-worming/

Screenshot_20220122-123743.png

@Sharach

1 Medicated feed has been used all week tick.
2 Surgical spirits has cleansed their leg's feet and elbows, tick.
3 they have all had vaseline rubbed in after spirits all 3 ticks done. What a relief

They were not so happy being taken out of bed but it had too be done. Agatha and flexi almost went back to sleep on me and after a battle from hello so did princess.

The bad news is I heard the drated mice around again :(

20220122_151749.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom