Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

This is the hen I've mentioned a few times who I believe has cancer.
A few days ago she staggered out of the coop (the others were already in the coop run) with her face covered in blood.
She was no problem to catch and when I had her on my lap to clean her up and see what the damage was I noticed she had lice, but not mites. You can just see a louse on her lower eyelid in one of the pictures.
While the wound bled a lot and was quite deep it looked like a single hard peck at the base of her comb.
I cleaned her up and disinfected the wound. I didn't have the Permethrin spray with me. The next day I sprayed under her wings and the back of her neck and applied some around her eyes and ears with a cotton bud soaked in the liquid from the spray.
The lice are gone and her comb has healed up.
What I've noticed is that the lice seem to move in when a hen is sick. I don't think it's the lice making them sick, although they are very irritating. I think it's a sign of not being well enough to clean themselves properly.
View attachment 2973572View attachment 2973570
Yes I have noticed the weak get lice or mites when the others don't.

I lost 3 birds to the neighbors dog, One bird was in the yard hunkered down .. I found he brought her in the coop first I set her on a table she wobbled almost off it. Picked her up again, set her on the floor .. She knows me so did not fright or scare from me.
I will kill the damn owner if I could.
I hate irresponsible dog owners. I'm very sorry this has happened to you and your chickens. :hugs :hugs

Have you got a label showing the nutritional analysis of the scratch & peck?
https://www.chewy.com/scratch-peck-feeds-naturally-free/dp/214674#Nutritional-Info

Screenshot_20220126-174659.png

A few days ago she staggered out of the coop (the others were already in the coop run) with her face covered in blood.
She was no problem to catch and when I had her on my lap to clean her up and see what the damage was I noticed she had lice, but not mites. You can just see a louse on her lower eyelid in one of the pictures.
While the wound bled a lot and was quite deep it looked like a single hard peck at the base of her comb.
I cleaned her up and disinfected the wound. I didn't have the Permethrin spray with me. The next day I sprayed under her wings and the back of her neck and applied some around her eyes and ears with a cotton bud soaked in the liquid from the spray.
What I've noticed is that the lice seem to move in when a hen is sick. I don't think it's the lice making them sick, although they are very irritating. I think it's a sign of not being well enough to clean themselves properly.
Has she healed slower since she is already sick?

My hen with cancer died yesterday.

Agree. A sick hen is far more prone to other things. If I have a sick hen I always check for lice & mites as well ~ & worms. 🙄 It can be quite a process.

I lost 3 birds to the neighbors dog, One bird was in the yard hunkered down .. I found he brought her in the coop first I set her on a table she wobbled almost off it. Picked her up again, set her on the floor .. She knows me so did not fright or scare from me.
I will kill the damn owner if I could.
OMG, I'm so sorry. How utterly infuriating!

Back
Top Bottom