Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Rodent control! Make I larf.:rolleyes:
I don't think the rats are getting much. Maybe at night if there is still feed in the trays after the chickens have gone to roost. The rat problem is better than it was.
If you've got poultry and any feed is in the feeders then there is a rat or mouse waiting. There isn't any getting away from it. Some people will tell you they don't have rats and maybe, just maybe there are a very few places that don't. For the rest of us, we've got rats. They may not be in the coop and run and we may rarely see one, but they are there.
I have been looking at a battery mouse/rat machine today, it's apparently water proof.

I loathe the thought of killing anything but I want my girls safe

I'm still learning.
What sort of bins did you get Marie? I found that the mice/rats were able to gnaw through the lid of a plastic bin.

Luckily I seem to be near a good supplier and all the info from my chicken friends is helping too.

At least now you know what to replace the bins with when they get too old. :hugs
I just got these black screw top bins, they are fab to store straw but the layers food doesn't smell good at all.

Shad, Perris and others affected - I hope you and your chicken friends are faring OK in storm Eunice. And that your coops and houses stay standing. I just saw highest recorded wind in the UK at Isle of Wight at 122 mph. Admittedly that is an exposed area but still.
Anyway, thinking of you all.
It has not been an easy day here. Other parts have had it seriously bad. I managed to let the girls out for short intervals.

Wind rain, hailstorm and snow . This weather is crazy

I have been looking at a battery mouse/rat machine today, it's apparently water proof.

I loathe the thought of killing anything but I want my girls safe
That does seem like a humane approach to keeping the rodent population to a minimum. I really like that the dead rodents can be fed to other animals.

Smudge is not Moulting he saved most his girls in a Dog attack that killed three of my hens
004.jpg

I don't think deers would harm the hens 😄. Before we put the fencing we had roe deers eating up our gardens all the time, and the chickens didn't mind them!
Oh, I know the deer won’t bother the hens, I was just using that as an example of how the dogs’ smell in the backyard and presence in and out throughout the day seems to deter most wildlife from making any visits.

Back
Top Bottom