Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Opinions on straw versus cedar or pine chips for bedding for the coop?
I use hay in most of the coop and pine chips under the three roosts where they sleep. Pine chips are way easier to clean, make less dust, better all the way. If I had enough pine chips to put in 18 square meters I would definitely use only that. Only downside is that some of the hens eat it and so does my stupid girl cat.

Opinions on straw versus cedar or pine chips for bedding for the coop?
I use straw
Thanks, I have all of that at home so I will definitely give it a try! I've been using lavender oil and vinegar to try relieve the itch but I can't say it's really working 😁.
Trail and error. I had too use lots of different things last summer with bugs fleas or mites. Tea tree oil helped me with some bites

If I remember right, she's an ex-batt like mine?
I had one of my hens lay soft shell eggs for a few periods, that once lasted up to a month. I also gave egg shells, oysters shells and liquid minerals but nothing helped. We ended up simply giving her a small "special" almost every day with a high protein content, either egg or sardine, mixed with semolina and lentil, and some vitamins mixed in, for support.
I think it's just that their reproductive system is screwed up.
However I don't understand how yours could be broody and laying soft shelled at the same time. If she is broody she shouldn't be laying. Maybe she's not being broody but just nesting for a very long time because she has trouble passing the egg?

Mine always pull out of it, but unfortunately it can also be something bad like ovarian cancer.
Omg. :( I'm troubled to see that.

I will oil her vent later and i have semolina. She's such a lovely creature i hope i can work this out . You don't approve of soaking the vent do you? I was thinking i should try this.

Thanks for getting back and sorry my delay in replying I have a workman here trying too fix a problem in my bathroom.

I use straw
Trail and error. I had too use lots of different things last summer with bugs fleas or mites. Tea tree oil helped me with some bites
If I remember right, tea tree oil isn't good for cats. Not that you said to put it on cats, just FYI for people with cats

If I remember right, tea tree oil isn't good for cats. Not that you said to put it on cats, just FYI for people with cats
Tea tree oil is deadly to cats, I was speaking for humans only, I should have said that. I was preoccupied at the time but that's no excuse.

A lady I purchased my last oil from informed me one of her customers used it on her cat and the cat went blind just from licking it, there's worse stories :(

Last edited:
Just wondering though: could the fleas come from the coop and live in the hay
I believe so. And I just looked, mice can bring in the same fleas as dogs and cats so it is reasonable to think there could be fleas in the barn/coop if you have rodents ... and who DOESN'T have at least the occasional rodent in the barn?

Would you have any advice please
I'm afraid I don't. I have one girl (from the batch I got in 2015) that started laying very soft shelled eggs 3 years ago. No idea why, none of the other girls do and obviously they all have the same food sources. I don't sell her eggs but we do eat them.

Omg. :( I'm troubled to see that.

I will oil her vent later and i have semolina. She's such a lovely creature i hope i can work this out . You don't approve of soaking the vent do you? I was thinking i should try this.

Thanks for getting back and sorry my delay in replying I have a workman here trying too fix a problem in my bathroom.
I have a hen that lays soft spelled on and off throught the year.

Back
Top Bottom