Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

In USA we have a least weasel that can get through anything bigger than 1/2 inch. They are deadly and can kill everything.
I think weasels behave differently when they get in with confined chickens. I've never had anything break into any of the coops in catalonia or on my uncles farm. So, all i've seen is weasels trying for free range chickens.

I like them all and I'm a bit like Ribh in that I make a closer attachment if I've had to nurse them, or help out with their chicks etc. With chickens one can find this is ongoing, so for most one has a period when the relationship steps up in intensity.
I think it's they get over the fear factor & as they recover they choose to engage with us just the same. Olivia is a classic. When she first arrived she was as skittish as any other hen. She then had a prolonged stint with fowl pox when she got handled a lot & now I have trouble keeping her out of the house.
1649461689701.png

I was thinking more on the lines of a trained livestock guardian; something like a crocodile. Wont have to worry much about dogs and larger predators.
I'd be a bit concerned regarding the amount of water needed to keep one. I hope they aren't nearly as messy as ducks. Maybe they would be content sharing with the geese.

I'd be a bit concerned regarding the amount of water needed to keep one. I hope they aren't nearly as messy as ducks. Maybe they would be content sharing with the geese.
He'd need a moat. England has plenty of those. Transportation could be a tad difficult though...🤔

I think it's they get over the fear factor & as they recover they choose to engage with us just the same. Olivia is a classic. When she first arrived she was as skittish as any other hen. She then had a prolonged stint with fowl pox when she got handled a lot & now I have trouble keeping her out of the house.
My small experience with ill or wounded chickens gave me the same impression. It goes both ways, we get more attached to them and they become more trusting.

I've had an exception though with a hen that we thought was eggbound when in fact she was beginning a long (though nearly invisible) molting. We gave her a warm bath thinking it would help her get an egg out and it resulted in her hating our guts forever. She has become really skittish, whereas she used to be quite familiar and sweet as a young pullet.

There is an element of doubt for the future with many people I know.

I'm seeing a lot of fatigue and tenacity among my friends and family too.
Very true, it's a difficult time to live in. We happened to get away just when the pandemic broke so it is easy for me to lose sight of all the things going on in our isolated place. I do feel grateful waking up here every morning and terrible that it's being so hard for so many.
You posted sometime ago a picture of Mathilda while you weren't looking at her, in a position implying some pain, asking if she was sick. This maybe a problem that's been underlying for a while.

I think I'm going to call her that.
Yay! Newly named chicken!
I was thinking more on the lines of a trained livestock guardian; something like a crocodile. Wont have to worry much about dogs and larger predators.
If you have a crocodile for a guardian, you won’t have to worry about anything coming around after a bit. Including the chickens. 🙃

Back
Top Bottom