Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

To forstall any, it's all just death and violence comments about the thread, here's a bit of sex.
Thank you Henry and Carbon.:clap
P4110836.JPG

They were hungry again. Oats sunflower seeds and peas.
P4110834.JPG

I think the temperature got up to double digits today. Wonderfull not to be feezing by dusk.
P4110843.JPG

P4110845.JPG

Lima. Normal behaviour today.
P4110849.JPG

Or the cat, or the dog, or the children.
One of my sisters lived in Florida and I went to visit her a few times. On one memorable occasion, we were out for a walk with our kids when we decided to pass by the small lake by their apartment buildings. My sister told us to keep a close eye on all the kids because an alligator had been seen in the lake a few days prior. We walked and looked for the alligator but didn’t stay to find out if he fancied toddler for dinner!
Sunday small tax. Now that the two bantams have found how to get out of chicken zone we have to let everyone out to avoid a revolution.
View attachment 3057455
Drinking from the sprinkler is that sick hen's addictionView attachment 3057453

Can you spot Grochatila (fat-cat-TILA) disturbed during his nap on the manure pile 🤣? ( Hint : 50 cm above the rooster's tail)
View attachment 3057454
It took me a few looks but I found him! Excellent camouflage! I was driving home from running some errands and driving along a road that has a wooded hillside on the north. I glimpsed a deer that had bedded down to get out of the rain - if I hadn’t looked just right I wouldn’t have seen it. Looking for Grochatila was a lot the same.

Well, some sad news here. Apparently Sky spending so much time off the nest allowed Skeksis the opportunity to go in there and lay an egg. Only with her big old feet stomping around, she broke an egg open. I checked the nest right after work and found it swarming with fire ants. I quickly ran in the house and grabbed some gloves and a sandwich bag. Came back out and scooped out the broken egg and moved the remaining eggs to the other side of the nesting box. Then i took out all the straw covered in yolk. I rinsed the baby off and sadly found it looked like a perfect amalgamation of Skeksis & Mr. Bumble. Poor thing was only a few days away from hatching. I am deeply disappointed.
20220411_184518.jpg
20220411_184506.jpg

I moved the intact eggs to the incubator with the other 6, as I believe they are about the same on their timeline. The nesting box now contains 6 ceramic eggs.

Well, some sad news here. Apparently Sky spending so much time off the nest allowed Skeksis the opportunity to go in there and lay an egg. Only with her big old feet stomping around, she broke an egg open. I checked the nest right after work and found it swarming with fire ants. I quickly ran in the house and grabbed some gloves and a sandwich bag. Came back out and scooped out the broken egg and moved the remaining eggs to the other side of the nesting box. Then i took out all the straw covered in yolk. I rinsed the baby off and sadly found it looked like a perfect amalgamation of Skeksis & Mr. Bumble. Poor thing was only a few days away from hatching. I am deeply disappointed.
View attachment 3059308View attachment 3059309

I moved the intact eggs to the incubator with the other 6, as I believe they are about the same on their timeline. The nesting box now contains 6 ceramic eggs.
What a shame. I'm sorry you lost that little chick.

Awful to loose one like that!

That is sad - looks like it would have been a fine looking chick.

Back
Top Bottom