Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Thermal wheelbarrow means nothing in English 😂 ? I'm talking about this, what is it called?

View attachment 3082945
If I didn't have an ATV I would want one of these, whatever it is. This would have been quite handy when I was growing up in Kentucky. Our property was quite steep and a regular wheelbarrow was not the best way to move stuff uphill.

There are no naturally poisonous snakes. There is only one species that is poisonous, but that is only because it eats poisonous toads.
I think most of us equate poisonous with venomous snakes. We have at least 4 different deadly snakes where I live although I am probably going to die due to a combination of my clumsiness and too many dogs. Yesterday Handsome Jack tripped me and I almost ate some concrete.🙄🤣🐕

@MaryJanet is it an Australorp also in front ?
I find them very striking and didn't know they also existed in bantam size. Are they found outside Australia?
That's Peggy. She came from a shop, so I only know what I was told about her and what I've worked out since. I'm fairly sure she's part Australorp, part Silkie and part Araucana. Maybe also part Pekin. She lays blue eggs, has a crest, and feathered feet. Her colour is quite striking I think. I'm not sure if you can see it in that photo, but she has dark pencilling on her blue feathers. She's a very feisty hen, although she is slowly becoming more trusting and almost tolerates being handled. Her job is to be the boss of the black and gold hens and to do whatever the brown hen says. The brown hen does what the black hen tells her to do. So they end up in a sort of egalitarian pecking circle, except for the gold one who takes orders from everyone. She has FLHS, which was entirely my fault for giving her too many treats. Because of this, all four hens are on a rather strict diet of high protein pellets whenever they like, daily foraging around the garden, and a daily pellet mash with some supplements the vet prescribed to support digestive function (DMG, biotin, choline, milk thistle, cottage cheese, and a probiotic).

I love Australorps too! The big black hen is an Australorp and she has a lovely character. I have seen many bantam Australorps at the big agricultural show I go to and @Ribh 's Pebbles was a blue bantam Australorp. But I'm not sure if there are any in other countries. The American style of Australorp looks like an entirely different breed to me, with their upright tails and small eyes, to me they look like a black laying hen and probably wouldn't meet the Australian standards for the breed. Anyway, I'm sure I have seen photos of some bantams of the American Australorp type.

I love Australorps too! The big black hen is an Australorp and she has a lovely character. I have seen many bantam Australorps at the big agricultural show I go to and @Ribh 's Pebbles was a blue bantam Australorp. But I'm not sure if there are any in other countries.
I have been searching, since I am looking for pullets this summer, and have only found a handful of breeders in the US.

The American style of Australorp looks like an entirely different breed to me, with their upright tails and small eyes, to me they look like a black laying hen and probably wouldn't meet the Australian standards for the breed. Anyway, I'm sure I have seen photos of some bantams of the American Australorp type.
I think the differences you are seeing is more "hatchery quality" verses "breeder quality." The Australorps I saw at the poultry show and in pictures on breeders' websites, looked like your Australian birds, and nothing like the ones people post on BYC that they got from the big hatcheries.

There are no naturally poisonous snakes. There is only one species that is poisonous, but that is only because it eats poisonous toads.
I think most of us equate poisonous with venomous snakes. We have at least 4 different deadly snakes where I live although I am probably going to die due to a combination of my clumsiness and too many dogs. Yesterday Handsome Jack tripped me and I almost ate some concrete.🙄🤣🐕

Back
Top Bottom