Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I have no idea on the 1st question; I suspect it's unpredictable how they'll respond. But I would recommend another coop in any case; I find it very useful to have several (though mine are small and portable and just for sleeping in, which is not what most people mean by 'coop').

So, last year I brought up and left my old mini coop w/5 nest boxes. It can split into a broody or quarantine or intro etc. Sleeps 6 nicely. Also converted an old Hawaiian horse trailer into just sleep protection as I too just want safe sleeping quarters. The run is about 25x40.
20220625_092621.jpg
20210703_161053.jpg

I did fashion some solid hops and roosts in the trailer coop and it can sleep about 15-20 (?) comfortably and safely.
And they have a whole forest to wander fairly freely. No predators cept possible people and dogs on rare occasions, maybe. Last year 0
20210813_071227.jpg
20210629_172439~2.jpg

My dream goal is to have 2 functioning flocks. Beetles and Spiders. Beetle has not incorporated into the flock yet. Look but don't touch only. He is about 10 months old (I think) and in his own quarters. I'd like him to peacefully care for 12 of his own girls. I was going to do his intro at home when I took Spider and the A-team up but my concern is when I bring them down.
Did I explain any of that a little better? Currently Spider is in charge of all hens, pullets and chicks.

I know nothing about how one goes about getting housed where you are but I find it pretty incredible that you're having such problems. It's not like they're short of space.
We are short of housing...& I need my payout to buy in somewhere else. That is the main holdup. There is a massive housing crisis here ~ especially with rentals. I am very blessed that my son doesn't mind having me round.

We are short of housing...& I need my payout to buy in somewhere else. That is the main holdup. There is a massive housing crisis here ~ especially with rentals. I am very blessed that my son doesn't mind having me round.
Here too. If you are lucky enough to be housed- stay put! A richmans game these last few years. Don't know how people can pay $2,000 for a studio. Not right.

If it helps I have also had feathered feet in a dirt & litter run with no problems. The foot feathers do get filthy, particularly in mud, but my girls seemed pretty adept @ cleaning them as things dried out. My issues are more my feathered feet are also frizzles & I do need to dry them out if they get soaking wet.
That does help. You have d’uccles, right?

That does help. You have d’uccles, right?
Amongst other things. 😀 My favorell X has partly feathered shanks too. The D'Uccles are frizzled. Wet, there's almost nothing of them & as they don't regulate heat as well as standards I do have to dry them off ~ but the feathered feet are not an issue.

And he has never succeeded.
It would obviously take a lot to impress Skeksis. She must be much more used to the world being impressed by her!
I really enjoyed his company but as the days became longer he woke up earlier. A rooster crowing a couple of metres from your bed at 0630 is doable, 0500, not so much.
Théo crowes at 5.30 in winter and at 4.30 now. He sleeps in the basement right under us and we all have open windows so it does seem a lot like he's roosting with us. I've got some ear plugs by the bed and I put them on with the first crow. Below our property there's a farm with a rooster also so as soon as one crows early morning the other answers. It can go on for a long time as each rooster wants to prove he's the best crower. Cocorico 🐓!
you can just about see the 1st chick, and doesn't she look like a contented broody? View attachment 3169685
Shes a beautiful mama and her name suits her very well, she has a striking red collar! Have the other eggs hatched ?

Back
Top Bottom