Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Ouch! Are you buying organic?
No.
I ran down to PA for some pond supplies and the store I was at was selling the same thing for $23.49. I stuffed 2 bags in the back of the care with the other things I bought. It's just Flock Raiser crumbles.

Quite a lot of stuff growing. Peas it seems have failed for most who planted from seed; a few who started the plant ina greenhouse have them growing but not many pods. Carrots are doing okay, as are cabbages,onions and garlic. Some salad crops are okay. There just hasn't been enough sunshine early enough in the year for a good harvest.
I told C I intended to grow milk thistle on my patch. You should have seen the face.:D
I've had few gooseberries and a few raspberries from a plot long abandoned and in sever need of bramble cleaning. I might do that later in the year.
What there are lots of are blackberries. I can feel blackberry crumble in my bones.:cool:
I started the new chicken shite collection this evening and I've been told I can have one of the abandoned compost bins. It's got grass cuttings in it atm.
Looking South East.
P7061403.JPG

Looking South West.
P7061405.JPG

I've not had any plants burned by chicken poop but I don't put it on anything I'm actually actively trying to grow.

Regular farm-store feed for layer was $32 for 20kg last I got a bag from around the corner on saturday. I usually buy a particular brand I have to drive a ways to get which is $38 for a 25kg bag (it uses animal protein), which is expensive but now the crap farm feed has gone up so much it's a wash, even with the fuel cost considered. It's getting ridiculous. Feed has always been expensive here and hasn't gone up as much as you guys are experiencing. My major factor in switching feeds to commercial (I used to more make my own from grains, legumes and animal proteins) is the cost of shipping has gone through the roof.
I have noticed a negative impact on their poop from the switch, but no health or growth concerns yet. They were happier on my previous mix.

I feel so fortunate. I found a Mennonite gentleman about 15 minutes into the country (away from TSC 20 minutes the other direction). He has 50 lbs of locally grown organic chick starter/grower, 22% protein, for only $30 if I pick up at his barn. Regular layer is $15 for 50 lbs, and organic is $22. Talk about a lucky score. I hope he can keep his price there.

I've got one of those. I detest it. I've had a go or two with the ones with a higher IQ and they're just as bad.
I had a slightly better one but broke it after only two years. Buying a phone is something I don't want to spend money on, and it makes me feel guilty. The sensible option would be to replace our 10 years old laptop and do without a phone....I almost never use it to phone.
I've been sorting out this ones beak bit by bit. It did have a chip and fracture running half up her beak. Some idiot with some kind of clipper I expect. The chip is out now and with a bit of luck we'll get more of a point on the beak over the next weeks.
View attachment 3176325
Walking is good for everyone both for physical and mental health 💚.

What did you do with her beak ?
Several of my hens keep cracking their beak. I don't understand why because we have rocky soil. Up to now we haven't touched their beak and they always heal on their own without seeming too uncomfortable. Should we try to file them or even cut them as a preventive measures ?
Quite a lot of stuff growing. Peas it seems have failed for most who planted from seed; a few who started the plant ina greenhouse have them growing but not many pods. Carrots are doing okay, as are cabbages,onions and garlic. Some salad crops are okay. There just hasn't been enough sunshine early enough in the year for a good harvest.
I told C I intended to grow milk thistle on my patch. You should have seen the face.:D
I've had few gooseberries and a few raspberries from a plot long abandoned and in sever need of bramble cleaning. I might do that later in the year.
What there are lots of are blackberries. I can feel blackberry crumble in my bones.:cool:
I started the new chicken shite collection this evening and I've been told I can have one of the abandoned compost bins. It's got grass cuttings in it atm.
Looking South East.View attachment 3176390
Looking South West.View attachment 3176391
Looks very calm and beautiful in the picture 🙂. It must be quite a break away from the city going there every day.
We've been very disappointed this year with the garden. With the lack of water we've decided we will downsize next year which should mean more place for the chicken.

Back
Top Bottom