Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

She’s so pretty!

What a beautiful day! We hit below freezing for a bit last night, but it is up to about 60F now and although the ladies were complaining when I let them out first thing, they are completely content now in the sunshine!

Tax: My Brahma can’t be bothered with getting food out of those tiny holes on the bottom…
View attachment 3317650
There’s got to be advantages to being tall! A friend of mine breeds Brahmas and took a picture on a couple of hers drinking from the horse trough - they were just tall enough!
Going to make you jealous. I had lunch outside on a terrace today with a few colleagues.
Out of the wind and in the sun it was really wonderful weather. Even without a coat. Extremely nice for this time of the year.

I bet the chickens loved it too. But at the gime I got home they just started to roost.

View attachment 3318776
So strange. Summer flowers are stil blooming in november. :confused:
I’ve got multiple neighbors with roses blooming still, though I expect the yards freezes the past couple nights will convince the roses to go dormant for the year. The trees in my front yard are just barely turning color, whereas most trees have dropped their leaves by now. We’ve had a record amount of snow in the mountains the past week and a half. All the rain has been unpleasant for the chickens but so very welcome several years into a horrible drought. I’d love to get a little more yard work done - half my potatoes are still in the ground and my garlic is yet to be planted - but at this point I’ll take as much rain as possible.

Tax

Attachments

• B71B7524-39AF-4C2E-AF38-BB9B5AA062A7.jpeg
    B71B7524-39AF-4C2E-AF38-BB9B5AA062A7.jpeg
    832 KB · Views: 4
  • 7DAC38D7-263B-45C4-812D-FDDBFB3A222A.jpeg
    7DAC38D7-263B-45C4-812D-FDDBFB3A222A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
There’s got to be advantages to being tall! A friend of mine breeds Brahmas and took a picture on a couple of hers drinking from the horse trough - they were just tall enough!

I’ve got multiple neighbors with roses blooming still, though I expect the yards freezes the past couple nights will convince the roses to go dormant for the year. The trees in my front yard are just barely turning color, whereas most trees have dropped their leaves by now. We’ve had a record amount of snow in the mountains the past week and a half. All the rain has been unpleasant for the chickens but so very welcome several years into a horrible drought. I’d love to get a little more yard work done - half my potatoes are still in the ground and my garlic is yet to be planted - but at this point I’ll take as much rain as possible.

Tax

What breed is the chicken in the picture on the right?

No rain. Quite mild for the time of year at around 15C.
Take pallets from around the allotment C said to me. I've found three or four that I can move without major drama.

I'm finding city life pretty uninspiring currently. I could see myself putting a tent up in the allotments if it wasn't for the weather.:D
Three hours there today.

This here perch thingy I knocked up in the run extension is proving to be a popular addition. It's getting plenty of day use and it's not just because the ground is muddy. Two had just jumped down when I took this picture.
PB110660.JPG

I went into the local pet/farm shop this afternoon and bought a small bag of mealworms.
PB110664.JPG

Everybody came out.
PB110662.JPG

@gtaus , made a thread about things you can make with pallets. Maybe interesting for you?

Thanks for the shout out. Here is a link to the Show Me Your Pallet Projects! thread.

That thread was an off shoot from the Gardening thread, but soon started getting all kinds of other pallet projects such as chicken coops, pig palaces, goat hotels, etc... Currently, in northern Minnesota, I am sitting under 6 inches of fresh snow and have not been very active building new pallet projects. But I hope some of our BYC members living in the southern states will carry the momentum forward for us through the winter. In the meantime, would love to see more pictures of pallet projects by our members and/or questions or idea that we can discuss over this winter and have the projects ready to go next spring (for me, anyways).

My last pallet project was building modular workbenches for the garage. I took the idea from YouTube and just made my workbenches out of mostly pallet wood instead of buying new lumber and plywood. Added some wheels from a Harbor Freight dolly and can now easily move them around the garage. Been using my pallet modular workbenches a lot this past week as I have been servicing my snowblower, etc... getting ready for winter.

@Marie2020 and others: Always looking for people to check out the thread and post some pictures of pallet projects that they have built, or are building. Everything from a simple block of wood with holes drilled in it to hold drill bits, to full blown pallet sheds and pig palaces have been posted. Check it out if you are interested.

Back
Top Bottom