Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

This was in the our news today, source levende have :
GREAT BRITAIN PROVIDES REGISTRATION OF HOBBY POULTRY
Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) wants to register all hobby poultry. New rules have been drawn up for owners of hobby poultry, which also oblige them to keep an overview with data on numbers of animals, species kept, contacts, use and the arrival and departure of animals. This reports the Guardian.

The registration is to provide a full picture of the number of birds, the locations where these animals are kept in Great Britain and the movement of these animals. A registration system helps to inform about bird flu and to assess risks. In the event of an outbreak, owners can receive important updates on bird flu. The new registration rules would also apply to pigeons.

In the Netherlands, owners of less than 250 chickens and other bird species susceptible to avian flu have so far been exempt from registration. In England, Scotland and Wales, poultry farmers with more than 50 animals are already required to register with the government.

Living Have Editors/Sources: Guardian/consult.defra.gov.uk/poultry-register/all-birds-registration2023/supporting_documents/Consultation%20document.pdf

Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) wants to register all hobby poultry. New rules have been drawn up for owners of hobby poultry, which also oblige them to keep an overview with data on numbers of animals, species kept, contacts, use and the arrival and departure of animals. This reports the Guardian.

The registration is to provide a full picture of the number of birds, the locations where these animals are kept in Great Britain and the movement of these animals. A registration system helps to inform about bird flu and to assess risks. In the event of an outbreak, owners can receive important updates on bird flu. The new registration rules would also apply to pigeons.

In the Netherlands, owners of less than 250 chickens and other bird species susceptible to avian flu have so far been exempt from registration. In England, Scotland and Wales, poultry farmers with more than 50 animals are already required to register with the government.

Living Have Editors/Sources: Guardian/consult.defra.gov.uk/poultry-register/all-birds-registration2023/supporting_documents/Consultation%20document.pdf
It's currently out for consultation; it's just a proposal at this stage.

Yes that keeps everything from drinking out of the "pond" but what keeps the wild birds from drinking out of the same vessel the chickens drink out of?

I have house sparrows in the barn a lot. And when I open the stall coop in the morning the idiot birds that flew in the open auto chicken door can't figure out how to escape. Not through the door they flew in nor the people door I opened to go in.
Ah yes. My bad. I didn't engage the brain.:D
Yes, both the chicken water and the geese water are problems. I haven't spent enough time watching the geese enclosure to know how much of a problem it is there. I haven't seen many wild birds in the chicken run. I haven't seen many wild birds at the allotments come to that:(
Crows, doves and pigeons are what are common and they chased off by the chickens.

I just can't see this proposed legislation being enforceable let alone affordable.

Warmish with occasional bouts of sunshine.
P3210607.JPG
P3210608.JPG
P3210609.JPG
P3210610.JPG
P3210611.JPG

I was talking with a friend who lives in the next county North of here who keeps chickens. He's a good man about my age. He's been in farming of one sort or another most of his life and is now retired.
We were talking about the future and the possible outcomes of the allotment chicken situation. He wondered who I thought was likely to die next and the possiblity I may end up with Henry and just Fret. Carbon is at least six years old now and Lima and Ella are heading to four years old. Four years old is old when it comes to Ex Battery hens. He wondered if I would be interested in taking one of his roosters and a couple of hens in the event Henry died, or even just a couple of hens to keep Henry company inhis old age.

I don't have an answer. It's not that I haven't thought about it.

I was talking with a friend who lives in the next county North of here who keeps chickens. He's a good man about my age. He's been in farming of one sort or another most of his life and is now retired.
We were talking about the future and the possible outcomes of the allotment chicken situation. He wondered who I thought was likely to die next and the possiblity I may end up with Henry and just Fret. Carbon is at least six years old now and Lima and Ella are heading to four years old. Four years old is old when it comes to Ex Battery hens. He wondered if I would be interested in taking one of his roosters and a couple of hens in the event Henry died, or even just a couple of hens to keep Henry company inhis old age.

I don't have an answer. It's not that I haven't thought about it.
I think it's a question that needs to be put aside for a few months. Unless they all die before, which I hope not. When you've gone through spring and summer in the current arrangement, seen how well it works out for the chickens and for you, and maybe find out if C. will just let things go on this way.
With the weather you are having now, you are seeing the worse, no ?
Then again taking in new chickens depending on how old they are would mean a few years commitment.

Henry found himself a spot. Not quite sure what he was doing.:confused:
P3200599.JPG

Maybe he had a quick fit of roostery feelings while in the yard and decided to call someone to nest? Looks like Ella's interested.

Or was there something yummy on the ground? Our Langshans are tall and practical and at times lay down to eat, even while foraging. They leave their tails up, maybe to give the impression they're standing so the rest of us don't detect their true laziness practicality 🥸

Tax: another example of Langshan ingenuity. Frida Bakawlo, the One-Wattle Wonder, loves feed mixed with water, so when there's only dry feed, she mixes it herself.

If I accidentally place a dish waterer within 2 chicken steps from any feeder, the waterer will be jammed with crumbs from Frida dipping her beak after every couple bites.

Back
Top Bottom