Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

That the factory dares to give such a long warranty has to do with people not being able to proof anything after 5 years. And certainly not anymore after 25 years.
Also are they still in business. Some companies that had lifetime replacement on tools have gone out of business. 3 were over a hundred years old. .... I never thought they would go out of business.
I also had a lifetime subscription to a magazine. After 20 years they went out of business too... but I think the internet did them in.

Don't overestimate the lifespan of plastic. I have seen too many broken and dumped outdoor plastic to believe in its quality. The first generation plastic window frames is often so cracked and unrepairable that people need to renew them completely. Where a wooden window frame often can be repaired with just one piece of wood at the bottom.

That the factory dares to give such a long warranty has to do with people not being able to proof anything after 5 years. And certainly not anymore after 25 years.

Example: My son had a rucksack with 25 years or lifetime warranty and had it repaired after 4 years. The people in the shop were flabbergasted I still had the receipt. They wouldn’t repair without a receipt.

I do expect that these recycled coops are way better quality as the flimsy prefabs, build with thin and cheap wood, and often have a paper roof. The recycled plastic coops probably last longer as most people keep chickens in a small coop.
You may be right - but some of the stuff I have I have already had in use as furniture outside in the extremes of US North East weather for over 20 years.
This stuff is used to build retaining walls, docks, boardwalks and the like. I am an old lady. I am pretty confident it will see me out!

A small coop without the possibility to go out during the day
you misunderstand the type of coop in question; this style is designed just for sleeping and laying in. My birds use these coops - and in preference to a wooden one which sits empty unless I use it as a hospital coop.

Don't overestimate the lifespan of plastic.
there are many different types of plastic - as there are different types of wood. Sweeping generalizations serve no-one well. I did my research on coops before I bought my first chicken, and I concluded that these Nestera coops are the best available in the UK. I have not had any reason to doubt it since acquiring my first - which was already 2nd hand - in 2017, and have bought two more since.

How are the mites in your wooden ones? What preservative do you use on it? Have the rats eaten it? I could go on.

Yeah, because many of us cant of don’t like to pay for a premium account.

Keeping such a large website in the air costs a lot of effort, many severs and a huge load of energy.
And people for things like tech support too.
Something that I am more than happy to help people with.
Empress Josephine is charging me for saying that.
20230610_151857.jpg

Don't overestimate the lifespan of plastic.
Hmm. Well, in today's Tropical Chickies episode of "Bad things the so-called First World does to the Global South" -- you may be interested to know that post industrialized wealthy countries export millions of metric tonnes of plastic waste to developing countries, much of it illegally.

https://grist.org/equity/rich-count...o-the-developing-world-as-previously-thought/

Of course, a lot of it ends up in the ocean and other completely inappropriate places. However, some plucky people in the Global South are finding very good uses for it. In India, companies are recycling it into affordable shoes. Here in Ecuador, construction material companies are manufacturing "eco wood" by hyper compressing plastic trash into very dense and strong boards, vigas, columns, flooring, "tiles" etc. My partner and I just invested a bit of money in some for building a water tower, and it's great stuff. Anything built with wood in a tropical rainforest is a termite/mite/wasp/ant hotel unless constantly treated with chemicals -- and even then, they get in. Not to mention toxic molds and mildews. Bamboo does better and can be treated with lime or boric acid, which are better choices environmentally. But I'm all about using the plastic waste stream and this "eco wood" is really strong and durable. So... It depends on the plastic.

I love my earthbags/cob coop but I'm definitely planning to build another coop with the eco wood. And quickly too, with these baby roos growing fast.

Besides, what we call wood is really trees. And more of them need to stay in the ground.
IMG_20230610_164531.jpg

^"eco wood" made from compressed plastic trash

Last edited:
Hmm. Well, in today's Tropical Chickies episode of "Bad things the so-called first world does to the Global South" -- you may be interested to know that post industrialized wealthy countries export millions of metric tonnes of plastic waste to developing countries, much of it illegally.

https://grist.org/equity/rich-count...o-the-developing-world-as-previously-thought/

Of course, a lot of it ends up in the ocean and other completely inappropriate places. However, some plucky people in the Global South are finding very good uses for it. In India, companies are recycling it into affordable shoes. Here in Ecuador, construction material companies are manufacturing "eco wood" by hyper compressing plastic trash into very dense and strong boards, vigas, columns, flooring, "tiles" etc. My partner and I just invested a bit of money in some for building a water tower, and it's great stuff. Anything built with wood in a tropical rainforest is a termite/mite/wasp/ant hotel unless constantly treated with chemicals. Bamboo does better and can be treated with lime or boric acid, which are better choices environmentally. But I'm all about using the plastic waste stream and this "eco wood" is really strong and durable. So... It depends on the plastic.

I love my earthbags/cob coop but I'm definitely planning to build another coop with the eco wood. And quickly too, with these baby roos growing fast.

Besides, what we call wood is really trees. And more of them need to stay in the ground.
View attachment 3536905
^"eco wood" made from compressed plastic trash
I think your eco wood is the same sort of thing I have been using. I love it. And keep finding new uses for the bits of scrap!

@Shadrach
We ordered 15 chicks a few weeks ago. There was a extra. Then one died. So we are down to 15. I think the extra survived.
I have been whining that I want a rooster. And guess what? I think I have one. Does this mean I can join the rooster club?
Tax.
View attachment 3536479
Sure you can join the rooster club, when and if he gets to be a rooster.:D

Back
Top Bottom