Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

regular broody and will be assisting me in keeping this landrace alive, but I would like for at least a small portion of the actual landraces to be raising some chicks, showing them the ropes of free ranging from the beginning.
Being broody raised seems to breed broodies. Usually at least a third of my broody raised chickens hens go broody every year

Being broody raised seems to breed broodies. Usually at least a third of my broody raised chickens hens go broody every year

That definitely seems to be the case. The next generation will be raised by my broody bantam, hopefully. I just can't imagine that rearing chicks artificially messes up with their instinct to further their genes so much. Anyways, i digress. I have the proof right in front of me

Two hours today. Mostly wet and windy.
No pictures. I had one of those senior moments. I had three drives connected to my computer and managed to delete todays pictures thinking I was on another drive.:he
Fret is still sitting. The nest still looks okay. I think she's turning the eggs enough. I need to sit and listen, or watch, but preferably not on a day it's not raining.

I'm on eldest company duties this week. Her husband has gone to Poland to sort out some family stuff so I drop in on my way home to make sure she's behaving herself.:p

I did get Fret off her nest for food and I did manage to feed her some mixed grains once she had gone back to her nest and got settled. This is unusual for Fret who in the past has refused to eat while sitting. I'm pleased because it means I can be more confident that she is eating enough.
Henry and Carbon came out despite the drizzle and had a forage in the compost and around my plot for half an hour.

IMG_3144.jpeg
LForgive me, I know very little about breeds... Do all of these "Sussex" chickens have the enviable figure of an overstuffed pierogi 🥟?
My bantam Sussex red porcelain certainly don’t resemble any kind of pasta! 😠😤

IMG_3144.jpeg

I like their friendly characters. I’m quite sad that the cockerel cant stay as soon as he starts to crow.

Well I did get surprise today was told he is BC Marans not correct as no feathers on the legs.
Was also told he is hatchery stock bought at a store here called Winco.
View attachment 3594413

I've seen many hatchery quality marans here on BYC with no feathers on their legs. Your guy might still be a BC Marans :hugs

You don't have to do this to join in.:D
There is some good information that does make it worth the read and ofc there is the amazing tax payments.

I know, I've just found all the discussions extremely interesting. I've read things that I've been observing with my chickens for years, but just couldn't quite put into words.

I read from the beginning, I learned a lot, cried a lot, and laughed a lot too. :)

Back
Top Bottom