Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Your statement sounds good as that is how the sodium bicarbonate affects poison ivy.

I'm very allergic to poison ivy and would have it on both legs arms and face.

Boric acid works good on the face.
I'm sensitive, not allergic, to poison ivy.

When I either realize that I have touched it, or I start to itch on my hands, I take an antihistamine. It stops the itch and reduces the blisters to a point they barely show.

Oops, tax:
IMG_20230913_171346224.jpg

The skies opened up while I was in the hoop coop yesterday evening, and so I waited until the rain tapered off. The Dominiques decided to preen and get up on the roost before the Sussex (who usually hog it to themselves)!

I'm sensitive, not allergic, to poison ivy.

When I either realize that I have touched it, or I start to itch on my hands, I take an antihistamine. It stops the itch and reduces the blisters to a point they barely show.

Not me.

It just goes everywhere.

Most antihistamines I'm not able to take as they put me to sleep.

Probably, although I'm not an expert. All I know is there is a reason this phenomenon got a name, and it is because it does happen. People take it to extremes too, I've seen many people scream and shout at the sound of "I'm getting litter mates". It's just something to be aware, and manage
It could be a real thing but I've never had a issue with keeping litter mates. Two sets now and several sets growing up. My dad and I raised AKC and FDSB English Setters and pointers. I have seen dogs have separation anxiety but it had nothing to do with another dog. My youngest daughter's dog is exceptionally clingy but is getting better as he ages. Taxes
20230910_192158.jpg
20230820_154311.jpg
IMG-20230820-WA0004.jpg

It could be a real thing but I've never had a issue with keeping litter mates. Two sets now and several sets growing up. My dad and I raised AKC and FDSB English Setters and pointers. I have seen dogs have separation anxiety but it had nothing to do with another dog. My youngest daughter's dog is exceptionally clingy but is getting better as he ages. Taxes View attachment 3635422View attachment 3635425View attachment 3635426

You're obviously doing something right. The family has been keeping litter mates for a long time, from what I can remember from stories and my experience with the last set, they all had similar issues. Probably lack, or dare I say unwillingness to learn and adapt

Tax. Lucio vs. Eagles

View attachment 3635340

Yesterday evening, there was a pair of eagles surveying the ground from a tall palm tree. All the chickens took cover. It was close to roosting time and Tina needs to cross a short distance of open area to take her chicks to her coop. She crouched over them and wouldn't let them move.

Lucio went out into the open area, stared at the eagles and did what I can only describe as a warpath dance.

View attachment 3635341

The eagles stayed put. They had seen the chicks evidently and were going to wait.

So my partner and I decided to help Lucio out. We each went to another spot on the open area and "flapped our wings" and imitated Lucio's posturing.

Tobias, the lead junior cockerel did the same, but staying closer to his tribes coop.

The eagles decided that four roosters was too many and flew away. Tina quickly ushered her chicks home for the night.

View attachment 3635342
"Good job, Food Lady. Now, make sure you get a pic of my good side" 😎
I love that and have a inder full Mental image of you all flapping away.
:gig

The dogs and chickens won't be mixing.

As a precaution, I'll be getting dogs that have what's called a soft mouth, which means they don't crush any birds they pick up. As a second precaution, they will be carefully trained.

So far, I have looked at Lagottos, Spoodles and Groodles.
Beware of sibling syndrome, it can cause many issues. Careful training is key to avoiding that, but give some thought to spacing out the pups by a year or two. Pack mentality is also something to be careful around prey animals that act flighty. Lagottos I've heard of, but the other two? I'm guessing poodle mixes? Please tell me more.

Beware of sibling syndrome, it can cause many issues. Careful training is key to avoiding that, but give some thought to spacing out the pups by a year or two. Pack mentality is also something to be careful around prey animals that act flighty. Lagottos I've heard of, but the other two? I'm guessing poodle mixes? Please tell me more.

Spoodle I'm guessing is a doodle type, probably a Spaniel and poodle cross. Groodle I have no clue, other than a type of doodle

When I get stung by fire ants I put a baking soda and water paste wherever I was stung. It not only seems to help the burning, but also seems to reduce my body's reaction. I believe it is because the stings are acidic, and sodium bicarbonate is alkaline, thus neutralizing the sting. I have no scientific studies to prove it, but it works for me.
That was always my dads go to remedy for bee stings, can't say if if works because I never got stung. It seemed to help my siblings though.

Back
Top Bottom