Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Well in some good news for the thread, my hen and chicks are still doing great, I've got 2 more hens on 2 more clutches, and all is well with the cockerel and the rooster! It's not every week that things in the flock go well!
You're all welcome to live springtime vicariously through me (at least those of you in the northern hemisphere).

CHICKSTILL6_2.12.1.jpg

chickstill3_2.37.1.jpg

I must confess I don't know many of this quarters medal nominations.
Some good choices from people who contribute to this and By Bob's thread I thought.
Yes! I don't like much that award aspect between people, reminds me too much of school, but I still think all the people nominated on yours and the FBA thread suit the medal's names and requirements very well.
Damp with drizzle most of the day. Four hours today with a late lunch break.
Last lateral flow test this evening; negative so I can visit people again.
View attachment 3652071View attachment 3652070View attachment 3652069View attachment 3652068
Carbon and Henry have the same tired expression. Tired from molting ?
I don't eat grains or most carbs, for that matter. Since going carnivore in January, I have lost 85 pounds, my cholesterol has improved immensely, my doctor is shocked, to say the least. I also feel great and have bags of energy.
Good that you have found something that works for you! For me it would definitely not- I feel terrible when I have to eat meat, like yesterday evening at my in-laws 🤢😂. But I like my partner's mother and know she would be quite upset if I didn't eat what she cooks.
I’ve only just found this thread and don’t have enough time to read through it all, but I’ve read the earliest pages and some of the later ones to try and get a feel for it. Thank you for helping this flock, @Shadrach. And I’m sorry about those geese. It is infuriating when people don’t even try.

I’m in the U.K. and currently help care for my parents’ flock of 19 (was 20 on Monday 😩). My parents are good people but don’t care for the chickens as I would if I lived there. Currently I work from their house on weekdays so can do a lot with the flock but I don’t control what they are fed etc. 14 of the current 19 are sort of rescues… 1 is a remaining ex-batt, 8 just arrived last week from people in the village who let them get into a real state and 5 came from someone else in the village last year who did the same. It makes me so mad! The other 5 are accidental homebreds (hen disappeared, we thought eaten by fox, but was on eggs in the hedge). I am trying my best with lots of issues, no good local poultry vets and limited products (I also use a lot of pigeon stuff). But at least we try.

I hope you are feeling OK @Shadrach… I know I’ve missed most of the thread but I think I got the gist and I realise how frustrated you must feel sometimes and how sad it is to see this flock without adequate care. They are lucky to have you.
Hello Hollywoozle ! If you haven't already, my advice if you are too short on time to read the whole thread, would be to have a look at Shadrach's articles.

Tax : Pied Beau the cockerel has hormones acting up since his dominant brother was re-homed. Luckily he found himself a girl. Lilly is a free soul, she is our only big hen who jumps over the netting to forage in the garden. When she tires of him she asks us loudly to help her back in the chicken yard, where Pied beau is afraid to go because of our rooster Gaston.
IMG_20231005_100643.jpg

I’ve only just found this thread and don’t have enough time to read through it all, but I’ve read the earliest pages and some of the later ones to try and get a feel for it. Thank you for helping this flock, @Shadrach. And I’m sorry about those geese. It is infuriating when people don’t even try.

I’m in the U.K. and currently help care for my parents’ flock of 19 (was 20 on Monday 😩). My parents are good people but don’t care for the chickens as I would if I lived there. Currently I work from their house on weekdays so can do a lot with the flock but I don’t control what they are fed etc. 14 of the current 19 are sort of rescues… 1 is a remaining ex-batt, 8 just arrived last week from people in the village who let them get into a real state and 5 came from someone else in the village last year who did the same. It makes me so mad! The other 5 are accidental homebreds (hen disappeared, we thought eaten by fox, but was on eggs in the hedge). I am trying my best with lots of issues, no good local poultry vets and limited products (I also use a lot of pigeon stuff). But at least we try.

I hope you are feeling OK @Shadrach… I know I’ve missed most of the thread but I think I got the gist and I realise how frustrated you must feel sometimes and how sad it is to see this flock without adequate care. They are lucky to have you.
Welcome!

When I found this thread I would regularly go back to where I had left off and read a few extra pages. It got confusing at times, but I believe I eventually "caught up".

The recommendation to read articles is great.

Bless you for trying to make the lives of those chickens just a little better.
:love

Very interesting. I don't think I have these genes. I only eat meat about twice per week but the times in my life I tried to cut it out completely I would just be exhausted and in a brain fog al the time. I have a low red blood cell count (normal, but on the very low end of normal) so when I do eat meat, I go for the higher iron meats. Eggs and sardines are also helpful to keeping my energy level steady.

Back
Top Bottom