Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Paprika's chicks are 7 weeks old today, and I think we've got 2 boys, thinking about status
Gwynedd Tintern.JPG

and three girls, thinking about food :D
Llandeilo Rhondda.JPG

Oxwich.JPG

With Fez being a pullet, and 2 girls 1 boy in Janeka's 3, we've been lucky with the gender ratios again this year. Or maybe it's because none of the clutches were early in the year? I'm sure I read something in one or more of the old handbooks about early season clutches being predominantly male and late season female, but I've not read any modern study remarking on it - maybe because the emphasis these days is on hatching early enough to have pullets to sell in the spring?

Paprika's chicks are 7 weeks old today, and I think we've got 2 boys, thinking about status
View attachment 3672249
and three girls, thinking about food :D
View attachment 3672250
View attachment 3672253
With Fez being a pullet, and 2 girls 1 boy in Janeka's 3, we've been lucky with the gender ratios again this year. Or maybe it's because none of the clutches were early in the year? I'm sure I read something in one or more of the old handbooks about early season clutches being predominantly male and late season female, but I've not read any modern study remarking on it - maybe because the emphasis these days is on hatching early enough to have pullets to sell in the spring?
That first picture is fantastic. I've been watching similar displays by Fret's two but haven't managed to get a picture. Real chickens living real chicken lives. Love it.:love

That first picture is fantastic. I've been watching similar displays by Fret's two but haven't managed to get a picture. Real chickens living real chicken lives. Love it.:love
thanks - it was pure luck, as they happened to still be on the terrace while Paprika, the pullets and I were on the lawn, so my eye level was their level when they started chest-bumping. They've been doing it for weeks but I hadn't managed to catch it either till now. Paprika has a marvellous ability to bring the chicks right up close when I don't have a camera on me, or it's off, and to lead them away as soon as it's out and on :barnie:th

Yesterdays pictures.
Two and a half hours yesterday. Mostly dry. They had a decent forage in the morning. I was tardy returning fro lunch and Henry had already gone to roost by the time I got to the field. He came back out when he heard food was being served.
The chicks are eating close to adult portions now. The female prefers forage while the male seems quiite content to eat what I bring.
PA302619.JPG
PA302618.JPG
PA302617.JPG
PA302623.JPG
PA302620.JPG
PA302621.JPG
PA302625.JPG

Back
Top Bottom