Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Not all the grains and seeds have sunk to the bottom.:confused:

View attachment 3679344
I can't make out what grains or seeds you've got there and can't remember what you're trying at the moment; of what I use, safflower and sunflower have low specific gravities and most are still floating when I come to serve. Otherwise, chaff and bran floats, and inadequately threshed or sieved heads do too. I've found it doesn't matter in terms of fermenting, though I do skim (with a slotted spoon) and chuck anything floating that I don't like the look off, plant detritus rather than something with real food value.
That liquor is the same sort of colour that I obtain/prefer.

@Perris The mix in the jar.

Millet, plain canary seed, oilseed rape, naked oats, wheat, premium sunflower hearts, cut maize, peanut granules and safflower, split green peas, chopped brazil nut.

Do you ferment with an open jar lid or a shut jar lid?
Of those, I'd expect the oats and safflower to float, and some cut maize (I don't know why some pieces sink and some don't - unless it's just the top bits of the cobs floating - but that happens here) and I think rape does. I'd expect wheat and peas to sink. I can't remember what happened when I tried millet, and I don't know about canary seed and peanut granules.

I add nuts as a top dressing when I serve, rather than include them with the base mix to ferment. What does fermenting do to nuts?

I just rest the lid down, so the seal keeps it slightly ajar and the gas can escape; I quite like watching the mix burp :p it's a bit like a little lava lamp :lol: . You could cover with a clean tea-towel as well or instead if you prefer.

What does fermenting do to nuts?
The same type of increased bioavialibilty of grains according to the web.
I have a friend that is a vegan and they ferment their nuts.:p:lol:
In fact they seem to ferment just about everything they put in their broths.
Tastes good.

Tax: Andre as a freshly minted naked neck/carrioca
I love that people are using the word "carrioca"! But just so you know, it's a Kichwa word -- one of the regional indigenous languages of Ecuador spoken by people of Inka descent or other indigenous people who were colonized by or intermingled with Inka people.

So if you use it with the 99.999999% of the people in the world that do not know Kichwa, they won't have a clue what you are talking about.

Other Kichwa words for chickens:

Patucha: short legged
Chirapa: frizzle

IMG_20230906_211915.jpg

Tina, a regal carrioca and excellent broody mum.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom