Shadrach's Lamps

Had a fire wood delivery today. Last of the year.
I've moaned before that the wood yard didn't have any Cork Oak. I've moaned at them as well.:p
Quite a lot of Cork Oak in this pile. They scraped together all the bits they could find.
I've already picked out 5 promising pieces and a couple of decent bits of plain Alzina.:wee
The camera has washed a lot of the colour out.
L to R. Cork Oak x2 and Alzina.
View attachment 2563945
Back view.
View attachment 2563948
The pile.
View attachment 2563952
Especially looking forward to what emerges from that piece on the left in the first picture with the rounded back. 😍

I got 6 pieces of wood from that pile which showed promise.
I've started with this piece. I cut the roughest bits off with a mallet and chisel and then put some rough shapes in with a gouge and a sanding flap wheel.
The back has been burnt a bit at some point.
Lots of colour in this piece. It's thick enough at the moment to make a lamp or a sculpture.
I'm a bit limited by the base. I can't cut any more off to bring the piece more upright, so I'll have to slant the base. I've got a bit of wood in mind for the base that should blend in well.
I quite like the overhang in the first picture but there is some interesting stuff going on just below it. You can just see the hole and the black veins in the last picture.
Looks to me to have mini Marble pretentions.

P3120646.JPG
P3120647.JPG
P3120648.JPG
P3120649.JPG

I got 6 pieces of wood from that pile which showed promise.
I've started with this piece. I cut the roughest bits off with a mallet and chisel and then put some rough shapes in with a gouge and a sanding flap wheel.
The back has been burnt a bit at some point.
Lots of colour in this piece. It's thick enough at the moment to make a lamp or a sculpture.
I'm a bit limited by the base. I can't cut any more off to bring the piece more upright, so I'll have to slant the base. I've got a bit of wood in mind for the base that should blend in well.
I quite like the overhang in the first picture but there is some interesting stuff going on just below it. You can just see the hole and the black veins in the last picture.
Looks to me to have mini Marble pretentions.

View attachment 2567030View attachment 2567031View attachment 2567032View attachment 2567033
I really like the shape of this one. So many curvy corners. The burnt back makes it interesting too.

Back
Top Bottom