Shadrach's Lamps

Pics
I mentioned a while back that someone had asked me to make a bowl. They wanted something basic but unusual. Course, everybody knows bowls are round. Even my lamps aren't round!
I should also point out the nobody playing with a full deck would even consider trying to make a bowl out of Cork Wood. And definitley nobody would try and cut a bowl along the grain rather than into the end grain.
What can I tel you.
So here we have it a piece of Cork Oak with just about every defect known to man; or women if you're feeling a bit PC atm.
This piece has splits, knots, peeling layers. I only have to look at it and a bit falls off. It's also as hard a rock!
This is an old piece of wood. At least two years old and hopefully it has finished wandering about as went from green to dry.
I chip away at it in between rather more sensible projects. I think I'm going to carve a tree in the bowl. I can't help it. I see a bit of Cork Oak and all I can think about is little black trees. I have gone for some therapy but they say there isn't anything they can do for me and ask what drugs I've been taking.
The basic idea is that you can stand it up as shown in the first picture as a sort of sculpture when not in use.:oops:
View attachment 2547247View attachment 2547248View attachment 2547249
Love the versatility!

I mentioned a while back that someone had asked me to make a bowl. They wanted something basic but unusual. Course, everybody knows bowls are round. Even my lamps aren't round!
I should also point out the nobody playing with a full deck would even consider trying to make a bowl out of Cork Wood. And definitley nobody would try and cut a bowl along the grain rather than into the end grain.
What can I tel you.
So here we have it a piece of Cork Oak with just about every defect known to man; or women if you're feeling a bit PC atm.
This piece has splits, knots, peeling layers. I only have to look at it and a bit falls off. It's also as hard a rock!
This is an old piece of wood. At least two years old and hopefully it has finished wandering about as went from green to dry.
I chip away at it in between rather more sensible projects. I think I'm going to carve a tree in the bowl. I can't help it. I see a bit of Cork Oak and all I can think about is little black trees. I have gone for some therapy but they say there isn't anything they can do for me and ask what drugs I've been taking.
The basic idea is that you can stand it up as shown in the first picture as a sort of sculpture when not in use.:oops:
There's a face in there. ;) There are Hippie markets @ Eumundi where my folks used to live & someone up there was making wonderful bowls out of euculypt with all the knots, dents & dings left in. They were supurb but sadly I could never afford one.

I really enjoy making extravagances such as this. The problem is they need to be sold in up market art type places and it's quite difficult to get them shown. There is also the expense.
They take a long time to do.
This lamp is called Injector. All the lamps I make have names and some have themes.
The small upright section is the injector pump. The black in the base is the reservoir. The black gets pumped into the main pump body to make the engarvings on the main lamp body grow. You can see by the glass tube and the reservoir marking on the back of the pump that the pump is partially empty.
It's a bit off base.:p
View attachment 2161277View attachment 2161278View attachment 2161279View attachment 2161280View attachment 2161281View attachment 2161282View attachment 2161283View attachment 2161284
This is my favorite of works they are fabulous !

What can I tel you.
Beautiful. ❤️
There's a face in there. ;) There are Hippie markets @ Eumundi where my folks used to live & someone up there was making wonderful bowls out of euculypt with all the knots, dents & dings left in. They were supurb but sadly I could never afford one.
Oh yes... I can see a face too...

The face won't be staying. The tree will cover the nose and at least one eye I think.

Back
Top Bottom