Shagbark Silkies in Ohio....anyone purchased form them?

jujubee

Feather Hill Farm
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Hi there is a person advertising Lavender silkie eggs and chicks for sale on Oviabid, Feathersite and and on a web site called Shagbark Silkies. (website is kinda strange) I have been in touch via email with this person but have no idea if its a man or woman as they never give their name. Also would only give me the zip of where they are located. Anyway they want a $50 dollar deposit on chicks ( which are $35 each!) and I only have a date of end of May. The zip provided is in Ohio. I live in Ohio as well and want to pick them up, but like alot of breeders they dont want people near the birds so they said they could meet me somewhere. Again I dont have a name. I have sent a email stateing before I send a deposit on paypal I want a invoice /reciept of what I paid for, what is owed, when I will take delivery. I also said I do not even have a name address or Phone number as its not even on their website...HAS anyone here on BYC done business whith Shagbark Silkies? I dont know if I am being overly cautious or not. Thanks

Sounds fishy to me. I would not send them any money. If they are serious about selling to you then they should be more than willing to give out their information and be willing to meet you in person. All the reputable breeders I know would gladly show you their breeding stock, so all this secrecy is throwing a bunch of red flags my way...

Just my $0.02

I, personally, have never done business with shagbark. But a customer of mine bought some birds from them and had them shipped...and it was a heartbreaking disaster. You can never be too cautious. Go with what your gut tells you.
wink.png

Thanks you guys..Yes I had a not so good feeling about them. In fact sense I posted this post in the am, WHOEVER it is at Shagbark emailed me back, STILL did not give me their name or location (did not offer a reason why and did not even respond to my concerns as to their idenity.) I had said in my last email to them before I would send a deposit I would need that plus a phone number and a invoice. They came back with " We have presold all our chicks that are to hatch sense the last email, thats why we said to HURRY up and get the deposit to us." We dont know when we will have more lavenders, maybe in June. We will let you know. " ......
I have a feeling allot of people just got ripped off if they sent deposits. I found another shady site from the same place that would not load, so who knows whats going on. Oh yea, they said they had no chicks available, that all were presold then also said they will have a listing up online at "Birdbid " later on in the summer for started lavenders. That makes no sense. If I actually see Lavs there by Shadebark I will STAY AWAY!
Ahh ...Does anyone know where I can get Lavenders? Preferably from someone with a name. LOL
smile.png

Please pm me as I have some info you might find interesting-I wont speak about personal experiences about anyone on the threads -anymore
hide.gif

I know breeders that won't give their address or let you come to their house, but they should at least meet you at the post office or some place like that. We let people pick up at our place, but we meet them at the gate and don't give tours for bio reasons...... you can see the pens from the driveway. We have been known to bring a bird to the fence for a closer look though.

lots of negative information about breeders get deleted from BYC so people keep getting ripped off.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom