Shagbark Silkies in Ohio....anyone purchased form them?

Quote:
I agree with you and your reasoning-I dont like folks coming over to my house either-I would prefer to meet them somewhere else for privacy's sake. I can't get past the name thing. If your name is out there-people remember names-reputations etc...I understand calling your business by a barn name but at least use a real name for business. It's when they go overboard for sketchy reasons that red flags pop up. To flat out refuse to leave names and avoid it at all costs?? Why??

Any breeder worth their salt should have NO problem giving their name. I post under my son's business name, but OUR "real" names are out their. APA/ABA year book, Call Duck, Silkie Club,Wyandotte Breeders....They all have our names listed in members section & under wins. We do list the Brody's Broodello there right next to our names. All these sources have our # & address as well. Do I give tours of the farm, absolutely not!, do I prefer to meet for sales, yes. If you must come to my house,I'll meet you in the front yard. We also have large livestock, guard dogs & such. Safety for you & us always first. We show birds all over the eastern/mid US and I have always had our names listed in a show directory, nothing to hide here. Since Shagbark shows & won't give their name, I can't say that I have ever seen their stock at a show, and I know most of the heavy hitters on the Silkie scene.

You're closer to where they would be showing than I. Didn't they used to show several years back?

If you're interested in birds, there are lots of people to get nice silkies from.

Quote:
We have been showing our birds for over 6 years, and I can say that I have never ran into them at a show.

Honestly, I don't need any birds, and am not interested in getting anymore. I have more than enough of my own, and they are nice enough to compete very successfully for us as well as our clients. Thanks

Last edited:
Brody's Broodello :

Quote:
We have been showing our birds for over 6 years, and I can say that I have never ran into them at a show.

Honestly, I don't need any birds, and am not interested in getting anymore. I have more than enough of my own, and they are nice enough to compete very successfully for us as well as our clients. Thanks

Hee, hee...I think Ultasol was referring to the OP here as she lives in the same state as Shagbark, lol. I can honestly say you and Ultasol both have some beautiful silkies that win shows. There are several awesome silkie breeeders that are here on BYC. Maybe check into getting eggs/ chicks from one of them. Or, go to a show- you can often buy silkies from some of the top breeders there. Ultasol rarely sells eggs or chicks yet i was blessed enough to get some beautiful birds from her at the shows and I love them very much.

Listen to Sonew though. She speaks from experience and is one of the most honest people I have had the pleasure to chat with.
smile.png

Quote:

Hee, hee...I think Ultasol was referring to the OP here as she lives in the same state as Shagbark, lol. I can honestly say you and Ultasol both have some beautiful silkies that win shows. There are several awesome silkie breeeders that are here on BYC. Maybe check into getting eggs/ chicks from one of them. Or, go to a show- you can often buy silkies from some of the top breeders there. Ultasol rarely sells eggs or chicks yet i was blessed enough to get some beautiful birds from her at the shows and I love them very much.

Listen to Sonew though. She speaks from experience and is one of the most honest people I have had the pleasure to chat with.
smile.png

AWWW thanks wthchristi
hugs.gif

Quote:
I agree with you and your reasoning-I dont like folks coming over to my house either-I would prefer to meet them somewhere else for privacy's sake. I can't get past the name thing. If your name is out there-people remember names-reputations etc...I understand calling your business by a barn name but at least use a real name for business. It's when they go overboard for sketchy reasons that red flags pop up. To flat out refuse to leave names and avoid it at all costs?? Why??

I agree with the name thing... I have purchased from them and well lets just say it wasn't a happy experience
somad.gif
but I will say they do have nice birds.

Last edited:
Hi All......Well I am the OP. I have been out of town for some intensive training for my J.O.B. ( the thing I do to support my peep habit ) I just checked through the thread of replies and lets just say...WOW
ep.gif

I had no idea that my question would have so many responses and many many PM's over the last few days. I just wondered why would a breeder would apply so much effort through advertising to direct a potentail buyer to them and then be so closed mouth. I am also NPIP and understand compleatley why one would not want buyers near their birds ( we have closed areas and an area that is removed for stock and chicks that are to be sold) I always give my real name, and address even if we meet elsewhere. Even in todays age where there are sicko's whos soul purporse is to find out where you live just to rob you or hurt you is a very real risk when selling over the internet. I understand that as well. However without naming any BYC members first hand, I can tell you that I have recieved quite a number of responses that have had VERY VERY bad dealings with Shagbark. Several, ordered eggs or chicks also w/ no contact name or phone number. Others recieved sick and dirty birds. When they emailed their disatisfaction, after a few clipped responses from the seller the Emails went unanswered. I do have much much more information concerning Shagbark due to a little investagation on our end and some informatiom provided by some BYC memebers. I am not here to trash anyone, and there is in most cases two sides to a story, but in this case BYC members I can only ADVISE you..DO NOT BUY FROM SHAGBARK. There is a very big reason they NO LONGER provide personal info and it has nothing to do with bio security or personal protection. Unless you count all the unhappy people they have done business with.
I am very thankfull for all the personal responses I have recieved, and am thankfull for the BYC forum providing us chicken lovers with an place to communicate and share experiences. I dont know all that many breeders and like buying a car or looking for a new doctor, I like to ask my friends and people I fell will give me honest answer. You guys really came though!!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom