It is a breed in the US. It is in the Standard of Perfection. I believe you are from the UK, correct me if I'm wrong, so you can't be blamed.
I am from the US. Shamo is a number of breeds from Japan. Shamo are not from the US. The "standard of perfection" wouldn't know a shamo, of any variety, if it flogged them in the backside.

I am from the US. Shamo is a number of breeds from Japan. Shamo are not from the US. The "standard of perfection" wouldn't know a shamo, of any variety, if it flogged them in the backside.
I knew they came from Asia. I meant it is a breed of chicken in the US as opposed to a variety, though there are Ko-Shamos, they are an entire different breed. However, in the UK, there are different types of Shamos. The Shamo, whether or not it was meant to be a few types of fowl, is now definitely it's own breed.
The different varieties: http://users.telenet.be/shamo/Japan.html
The breed, which @Age-of-Goositude has:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/Shamo/BRKShamo.html
The Standard of Perfection may have a different kind of Shamo, but it is still called a Shamo, and has a very particular standard which they judge by well. They wouldn't have recognized the breed if there weren't breeders breeding Shamos in the US. They do know what they are doing.

There are shamo, and their are mutts made from whatever conglomeration of breeds that fit some sort of artificial standard. The real shamos come in many varieties, each one with a specific purpose. They may or may not fit the standard of perfection, it makes them no less shamo, just as meeting the standard of perfection does not guarantee that a bird is in fact a shamo. Shamos are just the Japanese landrace strains of oriental game, just like Thai games are from Thailand, Ga Noi Dons are from Vietnam, Asils are from India and Pakistan. The first Malays were simply Kulang Asils from Southern India, misnamed and diluted into the amalgamation we know now. The standard has ruined Malay, exaggerating certain traits, and letting others vanish. All of these birds likely originated in ancient Persia, from the progenitors of the Asil. Some people use the term "shamoid" others "malayoid" to describe birds that have Asil tendencies and lack "bankavoid" traits.

There are shamo, and their are mutts made from whatever conglomeration of breeds that fit some sort of artificial standard. The real shamos come in many varieties, each one with a specific purpose. They may or may not fit the standard of perfection, it makes them no less shamo, just as meeting the standard of perfection does not guarantee that a bird is in fact a shamo. Shamos are just the Japanese landrace strains of oriental game, just like Thai games are from Thailand, Ga Noi Dons are from Vietnam, Asils are from India and Pakistan. The first Malays were simply Kulang Asils from Southern India, misnamed and diluted into the amalgamation we know now. The standard has ruined Malay, exaggerating certain traits, and letting others vanish. All of these birds likely originated in ancient Persia, from the progenitors of the Asil. Some people use the term "shamoid" others "malayoid" to describe birds that have Asil tendencies and lack "bankavoid" traits.
Those different varieties of Shamos are Shamos, and I respect that. But exhibitors have our own type of birds in the standard. Maybe they aren't actually the "pure" varieties of Shamos, but I can't change the name. They are perhaps a different breed as much as German bantam Wyandottes are different from our British (bantam Wyandottes were created in Britain) ones. Do not blame the exhibition poultry fanciers. The Shamos that they got were probably all ready mixed up. The first Shamos in America were imported for cock-fighting, so when people began exhibiting them likely didn't have the different varieties.
The person who started the thread wants to own this unique breed and did not intend for an argument.
I respect the many varieties of Japanese Shamos, but I also respect my fellow exhibition poultry fanciers.
If it wasn't called a Shamo, what would it be called anyways?

OoOOooooh...... a fellow Shamo. You're gonna love em', and it's true, they are very intelligent (for chickens anyway) and human friendly. Do you have pictures of the parents of these two chicks? It's gonna be fun for you, raising these two up and blossoming into adults! They come in different variety of colors, just beautiful birds they are.

Don't have Shamo, have Ga Noi/Thai influenced birds, which are very similar. Nothing like taking them for rides. They like rides. Big rooster setting in the front seat looking out the windshield. (on a towel) Pretty soon you will learn their language. They have a different sound for everything they see. Very attentive. I just text and hit the brakes when they tell me to. Would let one of mine in particular drive if he could reach the peddles.

Don't have Shamo, have Ga Noi/Thai influenced birds, which are very similar. Nothing like taking them for rides. They like rides. Big rooster setting in the front seat looking out the windshield. (on a towel) Pretty soon you will learn their language. They have a different sound for everything they see. Very attentive. I just text and hit the brakes when they tell me to. Would let one of mine in particular drive if he could reach the peddles.
Well yeah, the Oriental game birds now are Shamo / Asil mixed as their history are that of fighting so they've been crossed a lot to produce desirable traits (why I have 'hybrid' in my name), sort of like pitbulls which comes in variety of shapes and sizes for different needs. The true to original Shamo's have a distinct posture and size which stands out and somewhat easily distinguishable from those that have been crossed, which some breeders today try to keep.

Anyway, they are awesome birds..... I have a pair (rooster / hen), and if it works out, maybe some baby chicks in the near future. :)

Back
Top Bottom