shamos and thai eggs are in the incubator cant wait ...

It can definitely be nerve-wracking, especially when it's eggs that you've put a lot of money into and you want them to hatch sooo bad. It's hard not to worry then no matter how many times you've incubated eggs. But it's all worth it when they start hatching
smile.png
I have SQ Indian Runners in a bator now (among other things
big_smile.png
), so I know how you feel lol.
Good luck to both of y'all!
thumbsup.gif
And definitely post pictures of them when they hatch
wink.png
Don't think I've ever seen pic of a shamo chick lol.

yeah im looking through the windows checking temp and humidity any chance i get ... my mrs must think im a looney at times i even got out of bed in the early hour's to check everything was running ok ... ive relaxed a bit now it just a matter of time to see how it pan's out ,

im really wanting to try some of them " mandarine duck hatching eggs " but for X6 eggs its costs between £50 - £75 witch is a fair bit so my incubation skills need to be up to skratch so im having a few test run's first ,, im also doing 10 mixed duck eggs and 10 quail that a friend bought me from a aution last week only thing is i know nothing about the eggs he got so they will be a surprise to find out what they are lol ,,,

i bought a great book on chickens yesterday from the little bits ive read it seems a good book goes in to detail but puts it in steps easy to follow worth a read for anyone starting out !! and there's a photo of my other incubator i got 48 egg semi ...

I so want to try mandarins, too, one day and maybe some of the gambel's quail. Was hoping to do it this year, but our incubators have been full all spring. In fact, I ordered our fourth incubator this weekend lol, a mini Brinsea. Hatching eggs is such an addictive hobby, but it is so much fun (and at least it's not the worst thing to be addicted to lol). But you're right with the price of some eggs, it's better not to learn on the really expensive ones. Before you know it you'll be buying those eggs, though. When I first started out, I never thought I'd spend as much as I have this year on eggs. But we want to add new birds to our flock, and it's hard to find the kinds of birds we want in the area we live. Plus, I just really love incubating eggs lol.

Never seen one like it, but that looks like a really nice incubator. Btw, you'll love that book
smile.png

yeah the more im reading it i cant seem to put it down lol ... from 4pm this afternoon my first incubator is on lock down woohoo =0 cant wait im nearly as bad as the kids haha they cant wait too fingers crossed now all go's well ,

i only candled one of these eggs randomly around 10 days witch looked fine chick moving around i didnt wont to mess about with them to much so left them to get on with it ! i might candle a couple more as i remove the dividers a bit later on see how goes !

ill let you's know how i get on ...

well they have started pipping this morning and one of the thai chicks is out !!! its not day 21 till 6pm this evening !!!

i have a shamo chick that has decided to pip out of the side of egg will this one be ok ? and the humidity is going up so should i open a vent hole or just leave it ?

Last edited:
Whats your humidity at if its not about say 75% you should be fine with it the way it is but you may want to onpen on vent to make shure hte chicks have enough oxygen . It can take up to 24 hours for a chick to hatch after the first pip . Im shure someone with more experance will be along soon good luck .

yeah im just a bit worried as it was the first to pip and is still not out , due to pipping through the side " looks as if it might be the wrong way around coming out the small end of the egg " only a couple of others have pipped this one has made a hole about a 1cm round but it has been like that for a good few hours now as ive been out most of this afternoon ...

but the one chick that has hatched is fluffing up nice =)

ok i really dont know what to do i have 5 chicks hatched=) .., but theres about the same again that have pipped and can not seem to get out the shell 2 that have been there about 24 hours now do i help them out ? the humdity is 60 - 65% aslo i think a few of them have pipped from of the small end or side of the egg !

HELP PLEASE !!!

If its been more then 24 hours you can try chipping away a little of the shell and helping the chick make shure the membrain is nice and moist . Hopefully someone that knows more will help soon. Remmber that the membrain can have viens in it so you have to be very carefull.

Back
Top Bottom