shamos and thai eggs are in the incubator cant wait ...

right ill let you know where im at .... had to copy this as no one would answer on my thread !!!

ive got the same sort of problem on day 22 ,, about 5 eggs that have pipped in the wrong place from the side or the small end of the egg and im unsure weather to help them out ... for some of them its been 24 hour and it dont help with the other chicks knocking the rest of the egg all over the place !

i really dont know what to do as it is only day 22 but still want to give the rest the chance to hatch !

-----------------------------

yeah ive got a brooder here waiting just didnt want to open the incubator if i didnt have to ! as ive got 4 or 5 pipping just in the wrong place's it dont help that the other chicks are rolling them over on top of where there trying to hatch !! might try giving them a few more hours and see what happends ... what do you reckon ? or should i move the other chicks and turn the eggs where they have pipped back up the right way ?

--------------------------

have you get the humidity high enough? and not to open and open the bator over and over? raise the humidity and keep it above 70% since they seemed to have a problem in releasing themselves from their former home. good luck for you.
my humidty is 65 - 70 % ill try taking it up a bit ... i havent opened the incubator once so fair ive put water in through the vent hole ...

--------------------------

NOW IM AT~ ive upped my humdity to 75% one more chick hatched theres still eggs with chicks pipping the sides they are making little progress but are still alive ... i dont know if i should open the incubator to move the fluffy chicks as there still knocking eggs around like foot balls !!!.

If you do help, make sure to go very slowly and if you see any blood put the egg back in the incubator quickly. I know I've seen where some people recommend taking eggs you help into a bathroom and turn warm water on in the shower to make the room very humid (to help keep the membrane moist), but I keep our incubators in the great room so that'd take up too much time for me. Also, usually if I open the incubator while there are eggs pipped I very lightly mist any exposed membrane to keep them from drying out before putting the lid back on the incubator.

ok i have 8 chicks in the brooder and 3 chicks still in the incubator with the last of the eggs, 2 of the chicks are picking up and i dont know if the last one will make it ! me & the mrs ended up helping 5 out over the course of the day some easier than others . we had a few bleeds but just put them back in the incubator and they seem to be doing fine apart from the last one witch looks a little worse for wear ...

but the other 8 are doing great all eatting and drinking as far as i can see ! ive just got one thats going round pecking all of the others has anyone got any ideas on why ? or how to stop it ?

ill get a few photo's up tomoz and fingers there all ok !!!

SAM

Congrats Sam! The pecking is sort of a curious..learning thing. It's normal. Unless it's being really rough about it. My bf says you can send it his way if it becomes a problem. I say NO!

So glad to hear that the other 8 are doing great and that y'all were able to help some of the chicks out
thumbsup.gif
It's so agonizing when you have to do that for the first time.
I usually give the ones that lose a little blood & are weak some electrolytes once they're in the brooder and it really helps perk them up. Hope they'll be all right
fl.gif

Congrats Sam! The pecking is sort of a curious..learning thing. It's normal. Unless it's being really rough about it. My bf says you can send it his way if it becomes a problem. I say NO!
haha deannaor ,,, yeah the chick is really pecking the others and pulling them about making them cherp last night ! its seemed to of carmed down a bit now but ill keep my eye on it today tho .... if you was a little closer your bf could of had a trio not a problem but i think me being in england is to far lol !

Quote:
So glad to hear that the other 8 are doing great and that y'all were able to help some of the chicks out
thumbsup.gif
It's so agonizing when you have to do that for the first time.
I usually give the ones that lose a little blood & are weak some electrolytes once they're in the brooder and it really helps perk them up. Hope they'll be all right
fl.gif
yeah it was nerve wreaking time i personly think if i left them they would of died anyway the 3 look a bit better this morning even the iffy one is moving about so fingers cross so looking good !

what are electrolytes ? and how do they help and where can i get some ?

cheers for reading & photos to follow this afternoon =)
sam

Aww, they're so cute! Thank you for sharing the pictures. I know y'all are so proud of them.
thumbsup.gif

Electrolytes are sort of like gatorade for us and can give a weak chick a boost in energy. They usually come in little packs and they'll say that they're for poultry or chicks.
Sorta like this: http://www.jefferslivestock.com/sav-a-chick/camid/LIV/cp/T5-SC/cn/3507/
You can most likely buy them wherever you get the chick starter at. You can also give them a little sugar water in a pinch if you can't get an electrolyte replacer.

Last edited:
cheers for that ive got some on order same sort of stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300711039331?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 i think ?lol well all 11 chicks are doing fine at the moment coming on great ! ive bought a spot check theremometer to make sure my temp's are right i cant seem to find a good one for humidity tho any ideas ?

ill take a couple more photo's later when i get chance and ive still got some question's to ask to try and make the next hatch better !!! if anyone answer's that is ?

thanks again weimarmama
sam

I've never seen that, but it looks like a very similar product. Y'all probably have different brand names of products than what's available for us anyways.
I'm afraid all my hygrometers are the cheap Ebay and Walmart ones, which have all done okay as long as they're calibrated. But we've done a lot of hatching this year (and planning on doing more next year), so I really need to invest in a better hygrometer. GQF is suppose to have a good one: https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=151

Glad to hear they're all doing great. 11 chicks is a great hatch
thumbsup.gif
I hope my Runner & peafowl eggs do that well
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom