Shavings? Deep liter Method

Those of you who are using DE, do you have a good working compost with having that added? Or do you notice in the layers where you have added it that the compost is not broken down as well?

I also think of DE in this way, I plan to keep chickens for a long time, chicken coops are pretty much always dusty and I don't really want to be breathing in DE even in small amounts for years, they say food grade is not as harmful as filter grade DE but I have worked in construction most my life and know the causes and results of silicosis and I have already certainly breathed in plenty of harmful garbage and really don't want to breathe in more fine particles than I have too.

I may use it someday if I have an infestation of some bug but up until know I haven't had a issue with any bugs so I don't want to use it simply as a preventive measure, as I seemingly don't need to.

I tried DLM for the first time this year. Once I ran out of leaves and the snow came, I bought hay for the nests. When the nesting is dirty, it gets rolled up and tossed under the roosts. Every couple days I rake everything back under the roosts so most of the floor stays bare dirt. Every couple weeks I sprinkle ONLY the bare dirt with DE since the chickens don't dustbathe in their own compost. Last month - so, 5 months after I started DLM - it started getting smelly. Plus, the compost pile was getting so steep that half of what I raked up rolled back down again. So, on the next day that went above freezing, I shovelled it out and started over. Tip: if you're using hay or straw, a pitchfork is your friend on shovelling day! I couldn't find mine (buried under the snow) and trying to cut into hay and caked poo-post with a spade is NOT easy! :he

Note on shavings: pine and cedar contain toxic natural oils. Though some say it's okay for chickens, they harm the respiratory systems of small animals so I just don't use them. If you want to use shavings, choose aspen or ensure that your coop has very good ventilation just to be on the safe side ;)

Those of you who are using DE, do you have a good working compost with having that added? Or do you notice in the layers where you have added it that the compost is not broken down as well?

I also think of DE in this way, I plan to keep chickens for a long time, chicken coops are pretty much always dusty and I don't really want to be breathing in DE even in small amounts for years, they say food grade is not as harmful as filter grade DE but I have worked in construction most my life and know the causes and results of silicosis and I have already certainly breathed in plenty of harmful garbage and really don't want to breathe in more fine particles than I have too.

I may use it someday if I have an infestation of some bug but up until know I haven't had a issue with any bugs so I don't want to use it simply as a preventive measure, as I seemingly don't need to.

x2 Good stuff. Jewellan a lot of info on here. Go to the top of the page and search for deep litter. It will pull up a big thread by Beekissed. She is the best. Read at least 20 pages and then pop on and start asking questions. You will never regret it.. Promise.
big_smile.png
and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I tried DLM for the first time this year. Once I ran out of leaves and the snow came, I bought hay for the nests. When the nesting is dirty, it gets rolled up and tossed under the roosts. Every couple days I rake everything back under the roosts so most of the floor stays bare dirt. Every couple weeks I sprinkle ONLY the bare dirt with DE since the chickens don't dustbathe in their own compost. Last month - so, 5 months after I started DLM - it started getting smelly. Plus, the compost pile was getting so steep that half of what I raked up rolled back down again. So, on the next day that went above freezing, I shovelled it out and started over. Tip: if you're using hay or straw, a pitchfork is your friend on shovelling day! I couldn't find mine (buried under the snow) and trying to cut into hay and caked poo-post with a spade is NOT easy!
he.gif

Note on shavings: pine and cedar contain toxic natural oils. Though some say it's okay for chickens, they harm the respiratory systems of small animals so I just don't use them. If you want to use shavings, choose aspen or ensure that your coop has very good ventilation just to be on the safe side
wink.png
I have not heard pine shavings are harmful, I use some horse bedding from Fleet Farm, I assume it to be pine, I have heard not to use cedar.

I have not heard pine shavings are harmful, I use some horse bedding from Fleet Farm, I assume it to be pine, I have heard not to use cedar.
I haven't heard of pine being bad either. I do know that some of those bags of shavings can be pretty dusty though. When I used shavings I had ran out of my regular brand and regretted getting the "fine" bag.

Cedar is definitely the most toxic. Pine is not as harsh, but still damaging to small animals such as hamsters and guinea pigs. Chickens aren't much bigger, so, imo it might not be good for them, either. Consider that the cleaner "pine sol" is pure pine oil. I don't think it would pose a problem in well-ventilated conditions; I just choose not to use it just in case. Plus hay is WAY cheaper! :D

Well hay can cause crop problems I haven't had problems with pine shavings and I brood chicks on them. A chicken is far larger than a hamster they stand a foot or more tall for standard breeds whereas a rodent has its face in the stuff constantly. I wouldn't worry about it for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom