Shavings? Deep liter Method

I am new here, but have been researching the DLM and have understood to NEVER use DE in this technique. It kills the beneficial bacteria and defeats the whole purpose.

What is the alternative to the DLM? I had planned to just use pine shavings and clean bi weekly, because I am new to this and my fear is the DLM will increase probability of coop fires. Is that accurate? What is the best bedding method for ease, lack of smell, and g

You can replace it as much as you want. I prefer to do it a couple times a year. But I don't have a little city coop with a couple birds in it I have a larger coop of around 30 birds. I'd rather just add to it every week or two. Cleaning it out weekly is just more bother then I'm gonna deal with

So the method of replacing the shavings all together weekly is a waste of time or not the right way?

Why not give it a try. For a few weeks add a little layer of chips every day or two. It will get deeper but start to decompose down. Also try fermented feed (see different threads) It cuts down on the smell of poo. A lot. Keep in touch
big_smile.png

The flooring in my coop is outside plywood I shouldn't need to seal it for the DLM? My wife's a farmers daughter, and laughed while saying do you think farmers spend the extra effort sealing no

Back
Top Bottom