Shaw and the Hound

@memphis
I forgot to quote.
Zark and I have had this conversation before..so I Will copy paste for him in case he isn't around for a while.šŸ˜Š

"The easiest way to say it really is if you hear a hound working a scent he either barks ā€œcoooold, cooooldā€ on an old ( cold ) trail... or he yips ā€œhot, hot, hotā€ if heā€™s moving fast on a fresh (hot) track ...

Breeds or individuals with a cold nose tend to have a stronger nose or at least more interest in working more cold trails... others like treeing walkers tend to be on the other end...

A hot nosed walker skips the cold trails and keeps looking for an active critter quicker... which means less waiting to see if the track pans out...

if itā€™s a good night and there are lots of coons moving thatā€™s a good thing...

If itā€™s a slow night or a year after distemper has reduced numbers or something like that, a cold nosed dog is a good thing...

Out west where there are fewer critters per acre or for a lion hound, etc. a cold nosed dog that will work every track is preferred too

A hot nosed dog will tend to range out further faster and a cold nosed dog will tend to stay closer (unless it strikes something hot) ... thatā€™s what I guess I was getting at, in that your pup probably wonā€™t naturally be the big range type that wants to get out of site right off the bat trying to find a ā€˜hotā€™ track."

There were always deer around here. I liked that my Treeing Walker ignored them. When we were up in the mountains, she totally ignored the scent of the deer that had just walked through the parking lot as we headed out.

Later I was very happy that I had her on a rope when we crossed a fresh elk track. She hit the end of the rope so fast that she flipped. Fortunately I was able to hold on.

@memphis
I forgot to quote.
Zark and I have had this conversation before..so I Will copy paste for him in case he isn't around for a while.šŸ˜Š

"The easiest way to say it really is if you hear a hound working a scent he either barks ā€œcoooold, cooooldā€ on an old ( cold ) trail... or he yips ā€œhot, hot, hotā€ if heā€™s moving fast on a fresh (hot) track ...

Breeds or individuals with a cold nose tend to have a stronger nose or at least more interest in working more cold trails... others like treeing walkers tend to be on the other end...

A hot nosed walker skips the cold trails and keeps looking for an active critter quicker... which means less waiting to see if the track pans out...

if itā€™s a good night and there are lots of coons moving thatā€™s a good thing...

If itā€™s a slow night or a year after distemper has reduced numbers or something like that, a cold nosed dog is a good thing...

Out west where there are fewer critters per acre or for a lion hound, etc. a cold nosed dog that will work every track is preferred too

A hot nosed dog will tend to range out further faster and a cold nosed dog will tend to stay closer (unless it strikes something hot) ... thatā€™s what I guess I was getting at, in that your pup probably wonā€™t naturally be the big range type that wants to get out of site right off the bat trying to find a ā€˜hotā€™ track."
My beagles are cold nosed then they find everything I can't wait till they start search and rescue classes its gonna be fun and they will only search together they do a figure 8 till one of them picks up the scent and then they will get back together and search its really cool to watch

I've been taking him for walks here in town occasionally trying to get him used to the sights and sounds of people and things so he won't have to bark every time he hears the neighbors talking.
He is getting much better.

I think everyone in town has an Australian shepherd dog or something similar to it. Of course people's dogs are going to bark when you walk by.
And Mason takes it as a personal challenge and feels the need to let them know he can holler louder. šŸ¤£

Cooper and Roxi could be drug sniffers too they rated out the pot smoking neighbor the other day Cooper walked over to them barked twice and sat down then Roxi was like I want in on this so she did the same thing then Cooper got up and pulled on his pants barked and sat again I said you got pot in your pocket he was like ya why I just snickered and said oh no reason

Cold nose has to mean he can smell anything and everything.
I buy him these rawhide bones at the grocery store. They come in a heavy plastic wrapping. But he still knows immediately when I've brought one home. If I don't give it to him right away I hear about it.

Cooper and Roxi could be drug sniffers too they rated out the pot smoking neighbor the other day Cooper walked over to them barked twice and sat down then Roxi was like I want in on this so she did the same thing then Cooper got up and pulled on his pants barked and sat again I said you got pot in your pocket he was like ya why I just snickered and said oh no reason
Blah ha ha. Too funny.
Mason was barking at our neighbors the other day and I was telling him to hush be quiet.... my husband mouthed off "well if your gonna train him to be a drug dog he's gonna keep barking at the neighbors!" šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Back
Top Bottom